Welcome to Bizarro Amerika!
April 19, 2024, 11:06:36 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: THE ONLY POLITICAL FORUM OUT THERE WHOSE ADMIN AND MODS DON'T LIE.

Home   Forum   Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

FactChecking Doonesbury?

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FactChecking Doonesbury?  (Read 370 times)
Howey
Administrator
Noob

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary
« on: February 14, 2011, 07:27:32 pm »

After I read this past weekend's strip, I was intrigued by it. So was Politifact. Here's their result:

http://politifact.com/truth-o-meter/

In the Sunday, Feb. 13, 2011, installment of the comic strip Doonesbury, Mark Slackmeyer -- a longtime character in the strip who is a liberal radio host -- makes a point about gun violence.

"What are we like as a people?" Slackmeyer muses to himself in his studio. "Nine years, ago we were attacked -- 3,000 people died. In response, we started two long, bloody wars and built a vast homeland-security apparatus -- all at a cost of trillions! Now consider this. During those same nine years, 270,000 Americans were killed by gunfire at home. Our response? We weakened our gun laws."

At that point, a whirring sound comes from off-panel. In the final panel, we see that his guest is a space alien, who says, "Fail. Cannot Comprehend." To which Slackmeyer cracks, "Well, you may be a little jet-lagged."

We began by contacting Garry Trudeau, the cartoonist who has drawn Doonesbury for more than four decades. He got back immediately with a summary of his methodology.

"The final figure lacks precision, because it's extrapolated," Trudeau wrote us, noting, correctly, that the most recent data for gun deaths from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is from 2007.

"What I had were six years -- 2002-2007 -- of a remarkably stable number, around 30,000" gun deaths per year, Trudeau wrote. "So in my judgment, multiplying 30,000 times nine yielded a figure reasonable and accurate enough for rhetorical purposes without using hyperbole. If anything, it may be slightly on the low side."

We found that Trudeau was basically right. We went to the same CDC database he used -- the Web-based Injury Statistics Query and Reporting System (or WISQARS for short) -- and got virtually identical numbers.
When are we, a supposedly civilized nation, going to put an end to the NRA's grip on our "pistols"?
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 07:30:15 pm by Howey » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

betteroffhere
Founding Member
Noob

View Profile
Tenth year Anniversary Level 6 Nineth year Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2011, 08:01:58 pm »

after you pry them from my cold dead fingers...or something...

eh...its a cartoon...i don't read mad magazine and think their accurate...

should i ?

Report Spam   Logged

Howey
Administrator
Noob

View Profile
Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2011, 06:52:53 am »

after you pry them from my cold dead fingers...or something...

eh...its a cartoon...i don't read mad magazine and think their accurate...

should i ?

In this case you should. PolitiFact is the premier fact checker. Their opening comment from the link:

We've said from the start that PolitiFact would check anyone who speaks up in American politics. We've checked Obama Girl, Spike the Romney Attack Dog and a bumper sticker on a Volkswagen VR6. We haven't checked comic strips before, but when a reader asked us to check a claim from Sunday's Doonesbury, we were up for it.

Moving on, they state, tongue in cheek:

So let's put other comic strip characters on notice. That means you, Zippy the Pinhead, Hagar the Horrible and Rex Morgan, M.D. We're watching what you say.

Which begs the important question. Who the hell is Zippy the Pinhead?
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: