Welcome to Bizarro Amerika!
March 28, 2024, 10:07:12 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: THE ONLY POLITICAL FORUM OUT THERE WHOSE ADMIN AND MODS DON'T LIE.

Home   Forum   Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Madison

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Madison  (Read 4764 times)
ekg
Administrator
Noob

http://www.thevsj.com

View Profile WWW
Badges: (View All)
Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary
« on: February 17, 2011, 04:17:11 pm »

You go girls and guys!!!!!

Hell yeah! I love to see people finally standing up and saying 'not this time!"

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_wisconsin_budget_unions
Protests swell to 25,000 people at Wis. Capitol

MADISON, Wis. – Authorities say an estimated 25,000 people are protesting anti-union legislation at the Wisconsin state Capitol, and nine demonstrators have been arrested.

On the third day of protests, the Statehouse was completely jammed with protesters opposed to a bill that would strip public employees of their collective bargaining rights. The crowd filled the building's hallways, sat cross-legged across the floor and chanted slogans.

For the moment, a group of Democratic senators have blocked the bill by refusing to attend a midday vote and leaving the Capitol. The sergeant at arms was looking for them.

One member of the group told The Associated Press that they had all left Wisconsin in an effort to force Republicans to negotiate.

Republicans hold a 19-14 majority, but they need at least one Democrat to be present before voting.

and the teachers  are getting in on it too.. about time!
Report Spam   Logged

Facts are the center. We don’t pretend that certain facts are in dispute to give the appearance of fairness to people who don’t believe them.  Balance is irrelevant to me.  It doesn’t have anything to do with truth, logic or reality. ~Charlie Skinner (the Newsroom)

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Howey
Administrator
Noob

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 07:26:38 pm »

Oh.....I paid a little visit to a certain forum today. Here's what someone on there had to say:

When finding out someone's wife makes 22k as a teacher:

Not sure what his wife does exactly but that is a bullshit number for a full time public school teachers starting pay.

If they don't like the job - and don't like taking a pay cut when their company has no money - then they need to move on. Just like any other employee in any other business. There are a shitload...

His listed interests are:

pissing people off as an art form
Report Spam   Logged

Howey
Administrator
Noob

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 07:42:34 pm »

For the moment, a group of Democratic senators have blocked the bill by refusing to attend a midday vote and leaving the Capitol. The sergeant at arms was looking for them.

hahahhahahhahahha!

http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/archives/individual/2011_02/028051.php

A Wisconsin state senator says the 14 Democratic lawmakers who are boycotting a vote on a controversial anti-union bill have left the state.

Sen. Jon Erpenbach says the group wants to force negotiations over the Republican-backed bill, which would strip most public employees of their collective-bargaining rights.

The legislature needs a quorum to conduct business, and unless one of the Dems is in the chamber, there's no quorum.

The state's right-wing governor, Scott Walker (R), could in theory send the police to retrieve the Democrats and bring them to the state capitol, but apparently, the Dem lawmakers have left Wisconsin altogether -- knowing the state police wouldn't have any jurisdiction outside state lines.

In the meantime, tens of thousands of protestors demonstrated in Madison again today, with the backing of state and national Democrats. Fox News, true to form, labeled the protests a "hate rally."

And while we're on the subject, let's also note that the rationales behind the Wisconsin GOP's union-busting efforts aren't even close to being accurate:

Wisconsin's new Republican governor has framed his assault on public worker's collective bargaining rights as a needed measure of fiscal austerity during tough times.

The reality is radically different. Unlike true austerity measures -- service rollbacks, furloughs, and other temporary measures that cause pain but save money -- rolling back worker's bargaining rights by itself saves almost nothing on its own. But Walker's doing it anyhow, to knock down a barrier and allow him to cut state employee benefits immediately.

Oops!

Furthermore, this broadside comes less than a month after the state's fiscal bureau -- the Wisconsin equivalent of the Congressional Budget Office -- concluded that Wisconsin isn't even in need of austerity measures, and could conclude the fiscal year with a surplus. In fact, they say that the current budget shortfall is a direct result of tax cut policies Walker enacted in his first days in office.

btw...word on the streets is Gov. Binks is going to do the same thing in Florida...
Report Spam   Logged

ekg
Administrator
Noob

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 08:58:43 pm »

Boehner's reply kills me..

Boehner wades into Wisconsin labor battle, backing GOP governor
By Michael O'Brien - 02/17/11 03:44 PM ET

House Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) stepped into the heated labor debate in Wisconsin on Thursday, backing GOP Gov. Scott Walker's proposed reforms to collective bargaining rights.

Boehner released a statement on Thursday afternoon backing Walker and his package of aggressive labor reforms that would force increased contributions by state workers to benefits and pension plans, and limit collective bargaining rights for some.

“Republicans in Congress — and reform-minded GOP governors like Scott Walker, John Kasich and Chris Christie — are daring to speak the truth about the dire fiscal challenges Americans face at all levels of government, and daring to commit themselves to solutions that will liberate our economy and help put our citizens on a path to prosperity," Boehner said in a statement. "I’m disappointed that instead of providing similar leadership from the White House, the president has chosen to attack leaders such as Gov. Walker, who are listening to the people and confronting problems that have been neglected for years at the expense of jobs and economic growth."

blahblahblah he goes on to blame it all on Obama and demands that Obama stop the uprising.. http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/144889-boehner-wades-into-wisconsin-labor-battle-backing-gop-governor

but it's this part.

"I’m disappointed that instead of providing similar leadership from the White House, the president has chosen to attack leaders such as Gov. Walker, who are listening to the people

I'd say there is about 25,000+ people outside the door he ain't listening to... in fact, Walker and Boehner are pretty much ignoring them..
Report Spam   Logged

Facts are the center. We don’t pretend that certain facts are in dispute to give the appearance of fairness to people who don’t believe them.  Balance is irrelevant to me.  It doesn’t have anything to do with truth, logic or reality. ~Charlie Skinner (the Newsroom)
Howey
Administrator
Noob

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2011, 08:45:40 am »

"I’m disappointed that instead of providing similar leadership from the White House, the president has chosen to attack leaders such as Gov. Walker, who are listening to the people

I'd say there is about 25,000+ people outside the door he ain't listening to... in fact, Walker and Boehner are pretty much ignoring them..

hahahhahha! Fucking idiots!
Report Spam   Logged

Howey
Administrator
Noob

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2011, 12:42:16 pm »

From VoteVets:

"Maybe the new governor doesn't understand yet -- but the National Guard is not his own personal intimidation force to be mobilized to quash political dissent," said Robin Eckstein, a former Wisconsin National Guard member and Iraq war veteran who lives in Wisconsin and has been active with Vote Vets. "The Guard is to be used in case of true emergencies and disasters, to help the people of Wisconsin, not to bully political opponents. Considering many veterans and Guard members are union members, it's even more inappropriate to use the Guard in this way. This is a very dangerous line the governor is about to cross."

Sheesh...shades of Egypt, Bahrain, Iran, et al...

I just posted this on FB:

The peaceful protests in Madison, WI are the beginning of a wave of the poor and middle class in America reclaiming our country from the grasp of the rich. People around the world are finally standing up to their leader's attempts to stifle them.

Protests in Ohio now...

http://motherjones.com/mojo/2011/02/union-vs-gop-protests-heat-ohio

As the political showdown between Republicans and labor unions in Wisconsin continues unabated, an anti-union bill in Ohio has also begun inflaming similar tensions. Thousands of protesters descended upon Columbus on Thursday to register their opposition to a Republican bill that would abolish or weaken collective bargaining rights for public-sector union members, ban public worker strikes, and weaken bargaining rights for police and firefighters prohibited from striking, according to the Lancaster Eagle Gazette. In addition, the Ohio paper adds, "Local unions' right to bargain for health insurance would be limited, automatic pay increases for public employees would be eliminated and teachers would lose their right to pick their classes or schools if the bill passes."

In one of the most prominent union strongholds in the country, the crowd—"estimated between 3,800 and 5,000"—was the biggest turnout that Columbus had seen for any legislation in a decade. As in Wisconsin, partisan tensions are exceedingly high in wake of the 2010 election results. In both states, the governorship and the statehouse flipped from Democratic to Republican control last year in highly contested races with heavy union involvement. In Ohio, the ousted former governor, Democrat Ted Strickland, even showed up at the Capitol to display solidarity with the thousands of protesting union members. "This has little to do with balancing this year's budget," he told the AP. "I think it's a power grab. It's an attempt to diminish the rights of working people. I think it's an assault of the middle class of this state and it's so unfair and out of balance."

Looks like my FB post was right on target...
Report Spam   Logged

Howey
Administrator
Noob

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2011, 12:49:25 pm »

I undersand the Koch Brothers are organizing a counter-protest in Madison for tomorrow, bussing in Teabaggers from across the country...

Damn. I wish I wasn't so anti-violence!
Report Spam   Logged

44nutman
Founding Member
Noob

View Profile
Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary Level 5
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2011, 02:44:34 pm »

Maybe Boehner can hand out cigarette checks to the protesters.
Report Spam   Logged
44nutman
Founding Member
Noob

View Profile
Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary Level 5
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2011, 05:54:15 pm »

I just got the full story on Wisconsin. I guess the governor gave out a shitload of tax breaks and expects the unions to cover it. I wonder how much he contributes to his pension and benefits?
Report Spam   Logged
Howey
Administrator
Noob

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2011, 06:05:29 pm »

I just got the full story on Wisconsin. I guess the governor gave out a shitload of tax breaks TO THE RICH and expects the unions to cover it. I wonder how much he contributes to his pension and benefits?

FIXT.
Report Spam   Logged

Howey
Administrator
Noob

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2011, 08:28:12 pm »

You're going to love this, ekg.

Listen to what the people are saying!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/02/18/fox-reporter-greeted-with-fox-lies-chants_n_825393.html
Report Spam   Logged

ekg
Administrator
Noob

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2011, 08:51:06 pm »

I just got the full story on Wisconsin. I guess the governor gave out a shitload of tax breaks and expects the unions to cover it. I wonder how much he contributes to his pension and benefits?

that's pretty much the sum of it..

they had $130+million in surplus.. he came in and gave it all to tax breaks for corporations.. then claimed the state was in a fiscal crisis and to pay for it, he went after the union..after he said he wouldn't negotiate with them because they don't have any collective bargaining power rights..  of course by law they do, so last Friday night he decided to change that and wanted that new law voted in the other day.. wanted it real bad and real fast.. I imagine if Obama had done something like that, come to Pelosi on friday with a new law, forced her to have the vote on th 3 days later, we'd be having JFK llike documentaries running about him..

the shitty thing is, the unions have said they understand the fiscal crisis and will sit down and go over their contracts... but nope he won't negotiate with terrorists unions

of course Boehner blames it all on Obama..
Report Spam   Logged

ekg
Administrator
Noob

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2011, 08:52:55 pm »

You're going to love this, ekg.

Listen to what the people are saying!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/02/18/fox-reporter-greeted-with-fox-lies-chants_n_825393.html

Additionally, many of the protesters carrying signs criticizing Fox for being "fascist" nevertheless praised their sports coverage, so that's something.

hahahahahahahahahahaaa
Report Spam   Logged

Howey
Administrator
Noob

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2011, 08:10:05 pm »

I undersand the Koch Brothers are organizing a counter-protest in Madison for tomorrow, bussing in Teabaggers from across the country...

Damn. I wish I wasn't so anti-violence!

Another prediction gone right!

http://thinkprogress.org/2011/02/18/business-teaparty-wisconsin/

Koch Industries is a major player in Wisconsin: Koch owns a coal company subsidiary with facilities in Green Bay, Manitowoc, Ashland and Sheboygan; six timber plants throughout the state; and a large network of pipelines in Wisconsin. While Koch controls much of the infrastructure in the state, they have laid off workers to boost profits. At a time when Koch Industries owners David and Charles Koch awarded themselves an extra $11 billion of income from the company, Koch slashed jobs at their Green Bay plant:

Officials at Georgia-Pacific said the company is laying off 158 workers at its Day Street plant because out-of-date equipment at the facility is being replaced with newer, more-efficient equipment. The company said much of the new, papermaking equipment will be automated. [...] Malach tells FOX 11 that the layoffs are not because of a drop in demand. In fact, Malach said demand is high for the bath tissue and napkins manufactured at the plant.

Koch Industries was one of the biggest contributors to Walker’s gubernatorial campaign, funneling $43,000 over the course of last year. In return, Koch front groups are closely guiding the Walker agenda. The American Legislative Exchange Council, another Koch-funded group, advised Walker and the GOP legislature on its anti-labor legislation and its first corporate tax cuts.

According to the EPA, Koch businesses are huge polluters, emitting thousands of pounds of toxic pollutants. As soon as he got into office Walker started cutting environmental regulations and appointed a Republican known for her disregard for environmental regulations to lead the Department of Natural Resources. In addition, Walker has stated his opposition to clean energy jobs policies that might draw workers away from Koch-owned interests.

Moreover, other organizers for the pro-Walker protest are from groups associated with corporate and Koch interests. American Majority, a Virginia-based front group founded by organizers funded by millionaire investor Howie Rich, is on the ground contacting Wisconsin Tea Parties to support Walker in Madison. Austin James, an American Majority official who was caught teaching Tea Party members to spam Amazon.com profiles of liberal books with negative comments, is the contact for the Facebook page organizing the pro-Walker protest. Eric O’Keefe, a longtime conservative operative who helps lead American Majority, attends Koch strategy meetings.

Update Koch's Americans for Prosperity group has launched a new website and petition called www.standwithwalker.com. The new site attacks all collective bargaining, not just for public sector unions. Koch's front group also declares: "In fact, every state should adopt Governor Scott Walker's common sense reforms.
Report Spam   Logged

ekg
Administrator
Noob

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2011, 09:09:27 pm »

Koch Industries is a major player in Wisconsin: Koch owns a coal company subsidiary with facilities in Green Bay, Manitowoc, Ashland and Sheboygan; six timber plants throughout the state; and a large network of pipelines in Wisconsin. While Koch controls much of the infrastructure in the state, they have laid off workers to boost profits. At a time when Koch Industries owners David and Charles Koch awarded themselves an extra $11 billion of income from the company, Koch slashed jobs at their Green Bay plant:

well isn't that special.. I mean, 1 or 5 billion just wasn't enough to buy the supreme court,house of reps,governors across  the country, and every GOP candidate that stands when they walk.. AND buy Christmas presents for  the wife now was it..

it's funny how ACORN and Soros were taking over the world but the Koch bros are just good business men...

I suppose it's the whole ACORN/Soros were helping the niggrah's thing though..
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: