Welcome to Bizarro Amerika!
March 29, 2024, 10:22:38 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: WE NOW HAVE A "GRIN" OR "GROAN" FEATURE UNDER THE KARMA.

Home   Forum   Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

The Pentagon and NASCAR?

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Pentagon and NASCAR?  (Read 524 times)
Howey
Administrator
Noob

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary
« on: February 17, 2011, 07:37:08 pm »

Why are we supporting NASCAR? Aren't we broke? Seems like a Senator proposed a bill to end government sponsorship of NASCAR. Didn't go over to well with the bubba's out there...

http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2011/02/after-taking-on-nascar-dem-rep-is-threatened-document.php?ref=fpb

Rep. Betty McCollum (D-MN) alerted Capitol Police Thursday after a threatening fax arrived at her office attacking her proposal to strip Pentagon sponsorship from NASCAR teams.

McCollum's staff tells TPM this is the first time they've alerted the police about a threat made against here office since the health care debate.

"Yo, Slut Betty," the fax, which arrived at McCollum's DC office Thursday morning, reads. "Shut Your Phucking Pie Hole!"

The fax then goes on to say that "without exception, Marxists are enemies of the Constitution" and "Death To All Marxists, Foreign And Domestic!"

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

lil mike
Noob

View Profile
Topic Starter Combination Level 3
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 11:11:00 pm »

Why are we supporting NASCAR? Aren't we broke? Seems like a Senator proposed a bill to end government sponsorship of NASCAR. Didn't go over to well with the bubba's out there...

http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2011/02/after-taking-on-nascar-dem-rep-is-threatened-document.php?ref=fpb

I don't much care either way, but what is the real target?  The only reason the Defense Department has anything to do with sponsoring NASCAR as advertisment for recruiting.  So is she just opposed to NASCAR or is she opposed to having an advertising budget for recruiting?
Report Spam   Logged
Howey
Administrator
Noob

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 09:38:14 am »

I don't much care either way, but what is the real target?  The only reason the Defense Department has anything to do with sponsoring NASCAR as advertisment for recruiting.  So is she just opposed to NASCAR or is she opposed to having an advertising budget for recruiting?

I thought we were trying to save money? (btw...the AF, Marines, and CG have already quit sponsoring cars/teams)

It's just 6 mil, but I thought the House wanted to slash spending? We need to drop school lunch programs for poor kids but we feel the need to sponsor NASCAR drivers?

I guess so. So much for getting rid of the waste in government.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/02/18/report-army-wins-fight-to-keep-spending-money-on-nascar-sponsor/

Minnesota Congresswoman Betty McCollum is a Democrat looking at areas where the budget can be cut. Her current target is military spending. More specifically, she is focused on banning the military from spending money advertising in NASCAR. She introduced a measure to this effect, and it was shot down by a vote of 241-148.

The US Army spent $7 million in 2010 to sponsor a car in NASCAR and has a signed contract with Stewart-Haas racing to put its logo on a car for 2011. In contrast, the Marines, Navy and Coast Guard all ended NASCAR sponsorships back in 2006.
Report Spam   Logged

Howey
Administrator
Noob

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2011, 07:38:30 pm »

Maybe she sees it's a waste of money? I thought recruitment goals were through the roof thanks to the piss-poor economy and the Army letting convicted felons and gang members enlist?
Report Spam   Logged

lil mike
Noob

View Profile
Topic Starter Combination Level 3
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2011, 08:36:23 pm »

I thought we were trying to save money? (btw...the AF, Marines, and CG have already quit sponsoring cars/teams)

It's just 6 mil, but I thought the House wanted to slash spending? We need to drop school lunch programs for poor kids but we feel the need to sponsor NASCAR drivers?

I guess so. So much for getting rid of the waste in government.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/02/18/report-army-wins-fight-to-keep-spending-money-on-nascar-sponsor/

So you want to save 6 million, but waste 2.4 billion on high speed rail?  Although all of the proposed high speed rail projects come to about 54 billion.  I wonder how many school lunch programs that could buy?
Report Spam   Logged
Howey
Administrator
Noob

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2011, 09:03:05 am »

So you want to save 6 million, but waste 2.4 billion on high speed rail?  Although all of the proposed high speed rail projects come to about 54 billion.  I wonder how many school lunch programs that could buy?

Actually, according to today's N-J, it's something like 15.3 million.

All of the high speed rail projects? Or Florida's?  How many jobs will that create?
Report Spam   Logged

Howey
Administrator
Noob

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2011, 10:12:42 am »

I thought we were "broke"? Isn't that what Boehner said?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41536793/ns/meet_the_press-transcripts/

I love this comment from David Frum:

"Government funding for NASCAR: Liberty. Government funding for NPR: Tyranny."

How many of the million jobs lost from the cuts could be saved?

Oh. Wait. Job loss? "So be it"...
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: