Welcome to Bizarro Amerika!
March 28, 2024, 07:56:30 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: OUR POLITIKAL SECTION IS A TROLL FREE AREA. ACT ACCORDINGLY.

Home   Forum   Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

War In Libya (It's Real Now, Nutty!)

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: War In Libya (It's Real Now, Nutty!)  (Read 5246 times)
44nutman
Founding Member
Noob

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary Level 5
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2011, 10:43:18 am »

I feel sorry for the rebels but this is not our fight. France, Arab League, The African(whatever they call their group), UK and the UN all were for going into Libya. Well the combined forces of those groups and some using our equipment is more than enough to level the playing field in Libya. Why the eff do they need the US? I am sorry the role of world police is one we can not afford anymore. There are other countries with dictators, what are the parameters we use to help out countries. African nations are performing genocide, so who do we help out next. The world needs to learn how to rely on someone other than the US.
France pissed me off during the run-up to the NO Fly Zone. They were bitching and trying to coerce help with the NFZ. I was thinking, listen France if you can't kick Libya's ass then you should not consider yourself a world power. Their air force would have little problem locking the skies down over Libya. If France is outraged, they don't even need aircraft carriers, they are close enough to run sortees from within their borders.
 We are stuck in Iraq and Afghanastan and have crippling debt. If Libya was located in North or South America, then I would be for some sort of intervention, but Africa needs to become Europes problem. We already have to take care of the Middle East because of the Saudi's and Israeli's. We got Japan and South Korea in Asia, we do more than enough to solve their Earth's military problems. When it comes to a problem when the military intervention is needed we are like a drunken college chick at a frat party, we can't say no. 
It is time for America to transition from the ideas of Woodrow Wilson back to Teddy Roosevelt.
Report Spam   Logged
Howey
Administrator
Noob

View Profile
Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2011, 11:42:40 am »

Who woulda thought I'd be the hawk on this one?
Report Spam   Logged

Howey
Administrator
Noob

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2011, 12:43:46 pm »

btw,  why is Gadhafi's a colonel?

why isn't he a general?

Dammit. That was supposed to be my Thought of the Day. Thief! Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

Howey
Administrator
Noob

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2011, 12:48:48 pm »

?

See...if this had been John Kerry you'd be all over it.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/03/19/sarah-palin-warns-of-chin_n_838030.html

She took a swipe at President Barack Obama and what she described as his "dithering" response to the political upheaval in the Middle East, saying he "should have done more for Arab protesters."
Report Spam   Logged

44nutman
Founding Member
Noob

View Profile
Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary Level 5
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2011, 01:13:46 pm »

Who woulda thought I'd be the hawk on this one?
You neo-con. I can't wait for you to start quoting Karl Rove.
Report Spam   Logged
Howey
Administrator
Noob

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2011, 03:33:07 pm »

You neo-con. I can't wait for you to start quoting Karl Rove.

Oh well. lilMike thinks I quote Karl Marx all the time.  Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged

Howey
Administrator
Noob

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2011, 03:49:17 pm »

This is a bit of damning praise, but does reflect my feelings on the President's approach to Libya:

Just a week ago, as the tide began to turn against the anti-Qaddafi rebellion, President Obama seemed determined to keep the United States out of Libya's civil strife. But it turns out the president was willing to commit America to intervention all along. He just wanted to make sure we were doing it in the most multilateral, least cowboyish fashion imaginable.

That much his administration has achieved. In its opening phase, at least, our war in Libya looks like the beau ideal of a liberal internationalist intervention. It was blessed by the United Nations Security Council. It was endorsed by the Arab League. It was pushed by the diplomats at Hillary Clinton's State Department, rather than the military men at Robert Gates's Pentagon. Its humanitarian purpose is much clearer than its connection to American national security. And it was initiated not by the U.S. Marines or the Air Force, but by the fighter jets of the French Republic.

This is an intervention straight from Bill Clinton's 1990s playbook, in other words, and a stark departure from the Bush administration's more unilateralist methods. There are no "coalitions of the willing" here, no dismissive references to "Old Europe," no "you are with us or you are with the terrorists." Instead, the Obama White House has shown exquisite deference to the very international institutions and foreign governments that the Bush administration either steamrolled or ignored.
Report Spam   Logged

uselesslegs
Noob

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Level 5 Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2011, 04:42:47 pm »

This is a bit of damning praise, but does reflect my feelings on the President's approach to Libya:

I read the article and thought almost exactly the same thing you did...damning praise.  But either way you slice it, innocents will die.  So even with the best of intentions and agreements abroad, even from the very people involved...lives will be lost.

It's such a hoot to know, that one crazy egomaniac's inability to relinquish power will kill thousands, perhaps 10's of thousands.  Life, what a shitcan.
Report Spam   Logged
Howey
Administrator
Noob

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2011, 05:40:40 pm »

I read the article and thought almost exactly the same thing you did...damning praise.  But either way you slice it, innocents will die.  So even with the best of intentions and agreements abroad, even from the very people involved...lives will be lost.

It's such a hoot to know, that one crazy egomaniac's inability to relinquish power will kill thousands, perhaps 10's of thousands.  Life, what a shitcan.

One can only consider the number of dead if the coalition did nothing.
Report Spam   Logged

uselesslegs
Noob

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2011, 06:06:27 pm »

One can only consider the number of dead if the coalition did nothing.

Oh, I have no doubt that the death toll would definitely be insane without coalition intervention.

I was just lamenting the insanity of the human equation, at times, in general.  I have these sporadic hippy days maaaaannnnnnnn.
Report Spam   Logged
Howey
Administrator
Noob

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2011, 06:13:26 pm »

I have these sporadic hippy days maaaaannnnnnnn.

I just baked some of my "special" cookies. Want some?
Report Spam   Logged

uselesslegs
Noob

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2011, 07:05:16 pm »

I just baked some of my "special" cookies. Want some?

Fuck no.  A good gust of wind finds me actually fighting to stay up right.  If I indulged...I'd look like one of those friggin car lot balloon thingies, all flopping around, arms flailing and shit.

Report Spam   Logged
ekg
Administrator
Noob

http://www.thevsj.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2011, 10:08:35 pm »

Fuck no.  A good gust of wind finds me actually fighting to stay up right.  If I indulged...I'd look like one of those friggin car lot balloon thingies, all flopping around, arms flailing and shit.

*note to self, give Chuck special brownies at next meeting... for uh, purely scientific reasons...yeah Wink
Report Spam   Logged

Facts are the center. We don’t pretend that certain facts are in dispute to give the appearance of fairness to people who don’t believe them.  Balance is irrelevant to me.  It doesn’t have anything to do with truth, logic or reality. ~Charlie Skinner (the Newsroom)
Howey
Administrator
Noob

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 22, 2011, 04:16:46 pm »

You can't simultaneously fire teachers and Tomahawk missles:

http://www.hulu.com/watch/225701/the-daily-show-with-jon-stewart-odyssey-dawn
Report Spam   Logged

lil mike
Noob

View Profile
Topic Starter Combination Level 3
« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2011, 05:36:49 pm »

Which politician is more crooked?  The one who is bought and turns against his benefactor, or the one who stays bought?

http://blog.foreignpolicy.com/posts/2011/03/16/saif_al_qaddafi_we_funded_sarkozys_campaign_and_we_want_our_money_back

Saif al-Qaddafi: We funded Sarkozy's campaign and we want our money back

In contrast to its inept response to the upheavals in Tunisia and Egypt, Nicolas Sarkozy's government was out in front in its response to Libya -- condemning the Qaddafi regime, recognizing the rebel government, and pushing for a no-fly zone. The Qaddafis' response? We want our money back:

Saif al-Islam: “Sarkozy must first give back the money he took from Libya to finance his electoral campaign. We funded it and we have all the details and are ready to reveal everything. The first thing we want this clown to do is to give the money back to the Libyan people. He was given assistance so that he could help them. But he’s disappointed us: give us back our money. We have all the bank details and documents for the transfer operations and we will make everything public soon.”

It's kind of hard to take him at his word, but the Europeans have been more than willing to hold a dollar from Mid-East dictators in the past.

And related to this topic, check out my blog:  http://muchedumbre.com/war-number-three

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: