Welcome to Bizarro Amerika!
April 18, 2024, 03:00:17 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: WE NOW HAVE A "GRIN" OR "GROAN" FEATURE UNDER THE KARMA.

Home   Forum   Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

A US ambassador and three others are killed...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A US ambassador and three others are killed...  (Read 3657 times)
head of joaquin
Tourist

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Level 2 10 Posts Avatar
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2012, 07:58:33 pm »

I'm a little taken aback by that comment, even with your disqualifier.

Who's to say Islam is "religious weirdness"? Certainly not me or you. According to my religion, there's a lot more weird about Christianity, particularly the kind being spewed nowadays, than the religion enjoyed peacefully by billions, not millions, of people worldwide.

Tell that to Koran burner Terry Jones, who's embraced said silly hate-spewed movie above.

Killing people because they make fun of your prophet is in fact weird.  Period. Not only that, it's reprehensible.

Religious people of every stripe need to get over their fanaticism and respect the fact that other people might find their views weird.  Indeed, I do find Islam weird, as well as Christianity (even though I'm a Christian).  Religion isn't rational and isn't intended to be.

Weirdness is OK, so long as you don't kill somebody because they make cartoons or movies you don't like.  I believe in the gospel (in some transcendental sense).  That doesn't give me the right to attack somebody because they make fun of Jesus.  Indeed, if you have the courage of one's convictions, you shouldn't even get upset.  Why would Jesus or Mohammad care one way or another if somebody make fun of them, assuming they are who people say they are?

In any case, I have nothing against Islam per se; it's a highly ethical and sophisticated religion in general.  But it needs to make its peace with modernity, just as mainstream Christianity and Judaism did, and it will eventually.  Right now, the fundamentalism in the muslim world is the result of identity issues and insecurities that still afflict the Religious Right in this country, and has no place in the modern world. Meanwhile, to the extent that it is politicized to deny rights or cause harm (as the Christian Right does in this country), it should be criticized roundly.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 08:06:06 pm by head of joaquin » Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: