Welcome to Bizarro Amerika!
April 16, 2024, 12:00:50 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: OUR POLITIKAL SECTION IS A TROLL FREE AREA. ACT ACCORDINGLY.

Home   Forum   Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Book review by Linda Calhoun: "The Authoritarians" by Bob Altemeyer

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Book review by Linda Calhoun: "The Authoritarians" by Bob Altemeyer  (Read 245 times)
paddymcdougall
Expats!
Noob

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Level 5
« on: October 22, 2013, 11:02:14 am »

http://whyevolutionistrue.wordpress.com/2013/10/21/guest-post-linda-calhoun-reviews-the-authoritarians/

Bob Altemeyer believes, based on his research, that the political right wing in its current incarnation poses a danger to our democracy.  He describes himself as a moderate (much to the consternation of his more liberal associates), but states that the makeup of that group as it stands right now does not provide a balance to more liberal views; rather, the right wing is a dogmatic threat which potentially limits our basic freedoms.  He wrote this book as a warning.

The inventories focus on what he terms “Right Wing Authoritarianism” and “Social Dominance”.  He uses “right” initially as “correct”, rather than “politically right wing”, but it becomes obvious during his studies that the politically right-wing subjects see themselves, to a highly dogmatic level, as correct in their beliefs, even when evidence stands in contradiction.

Altemeyer describes the personality traits of high RWAs as submissiveness, fear, self-righteousness, hostility, lack of critical thinking, compartmentalized thinking, double standards, and feeling most empowered when in groups.  He describes the lack of logic in their thinking; when they like the conclusion, how that conclusion was arrived at is irrelevant.  When they like the behaver, the behavior is acceptable; when they dislike the behaver, the behavior is not.

He then goes on to describe high Social Dominators.  These people want power, and they don’t much care how they get it.  “The end justifies the means” is their guiding principle.

And then, the double whammy:  these two groups fit together beautifully, which, in Altemeyer’s opinion, is how we have arrived at our current political state of affairs.  High SDs have co-opted high RWAs, and the vast majority of moderates have gone about our lives until these groups are threatening to take over, even though they don’t represent anywhere close to a majority.

The types he describes sure seem to fit a lot of the right wing/tea partiers these days.

The book is available at the link for download; I don't know if he has any tactics to fight back against these traits as I haven't read it yet, but I'll be reading it soon!
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

reverend_darth
Noob

View Profile
Level 4 One year Anniversary 500 Posts
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2013, 11:18:08 am »

Totally agree with Bob.
Report Spam   Logged
ekg
Administrator
Noob

http://www.thevsj.com

View Profile WWW
Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2013, 11:40:14 am »

Totally agree with Bob.

I totally agree with you.. Wink
Report Spam   Logged

Facts are the center. We don’t pretend that certain facts are in dispute to give the appearance of fairness to people who don’t believe them.  Balance is irrelevant to me.  It doesn’t have anything to do with truth, logic or reality. ~Charlie Skinner (the Newsroom)
uselesslegs
Noob

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Level 5 Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2013, 04:09:09 pm »

I agree with those two schlubs.
Report Spam   Logged
paddymcdougall
Expats!
Noob

View Profile
Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Level 5
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2013, 05:51:32 pm »

wow, we're all agreeing...there must be something wrong with the water today! (grin)
Report Spam   Logged
Howey
Administrator
Noob

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2013, 06:01:08 pm »

Wait til boh gets here.
Report Spam   Logged

ekg
Administrator
Noob

http://www.thevsj.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2013, 08:37:15 pm »

Wait til boh gets here.

HAHAHA!!

that made me LOL..
Report Spam   Logged

Facts are the center. We don’t pretend that certain facts are in dispute to give the appearance of fairness to people who don’t believe them.  Balance is irrelevant to me.  It doesn’t have anything to do with truth, logic or reality. ~Charlie Skinner (the Newsroom)
betteroffhere
Founding Member
Noob

View Profile
Tenth year Anniversary Level 6 Nineth year Anniversary
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2013, 06:22:06 pm »

I stay out of this section...

so you'se guys can have your moments like this...

You're smiling....I'm smiling....

and floating down the waterway

All is good
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: