Welcome to Bizarro Amerika!
April 19, 2024, 06:31:09 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: WE NOW HAVE A "GRIN" OR "GROAN" FEATURE UNDER THE KARMA.

Home   Forum   Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Atheists not welcome?

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Atheists not welcome?  (Read 399 times)
paddymcdougall
Expats!
Noob

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Level 5
« on: November 13, 2013, 11:43:18 am »

http://freethoughtblogs.com/dispatches/2013/11/12/another-atheist-group-barred-from-helping-homeless/

A soup kitchen in Spartanburg, South Carolina got a lot of attention a few weeks ago when they refused to allow a local atheist group to volunteer to feed the homeless. Now the Kansas City Atheist Coalition is facing identical treatment. After spending the last few Thanksgivings helping deliver meals to the needy, the mission they did this for have decided they won’t be allowed to do so this year.
For the past two years, the Kansas City Atheist Coalition has volunteered with the Kansas City Rescue Mission to deliver meals to those in need on Thanksgiving, and then later collected gift donations for an adopted family at a December holiday party…
The bad news is that we aren’t likely to have a volunteer event. The reason is unfortunate: Kansas City Rescue Mission has decided to use the meals they deliver as a chance to proselytize to its recipients by inserting religious literature into the meals. They informed us that we “would not be a good fit” (emphasis theirs) for volunteering with them, and declined to respond to any further inquiries.

Sad. Stupid.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Howey
Administrator
Noob

View Profile
Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2013, 12:23:04 pm »

I don't get atheists but this is stupid.
Report Spam   Logged

dougola
Outstanding Citizen

View Profile
Second year Anniversary Level 4 100 Posts
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2013, 08:10:56 pm »

Evil Eye can explain atheists to you, for hours on end.
Report Spam   Logged
Howey
Administrator
Noob

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2013, 10:04:03 pm »

Evil Eye can explain atheists to you, for hours on end.

Lol I'm skeptical about that.
Report Spam   Logged

uselesslegs
Noob

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Level 5 Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2013, 04:25:50 pm »

To me, atheism isn't a lack of belief, in a particular belief,...it's just no belief at all, where no evidence exists to justify it, let alone build an entire reality around it. And not done so for the sake of being contrary or obstinate, but because there's nothing to be contrary or obstinate about.
Report Spam   Logged
ekg
Administrator
Noob

http://www.thevsj.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2013, 08:48:57 pm »

To me, atheism isn't a lack of belief, in a particular belief,...it's just no belief at all, where no evidence exists to justify it, let alone build an entire reality around it. And not done so for the sake of being contrary or obstinate, but because there's nothing to be contrary or obstinate about.

That's what I've always thought... atheism=zero belief at all  whereas agnostics are still searching
Report Spam   Logged

Facts are the center. We don’t pretend that certain facts are in dispute to give the appearance of fairness to people who don’t believe them.  Balance is irrelevant to me.  It doesn’t have anything to do with truth, logic or reality. ~Charlie Skinner (the Newsroom)
uselesslegs
Noob

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2013, 03:45:32 am »

That's how I've always understood it. Atheists will not substitute items where knowledge currently ends, nor will they entertain the conjecture of maybes, where no evidence exists to suggest such or extrapolate from/to.
Report Spam   Logged
Howey
Administrator
Noob

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2013, 09:30:28 am »

I honestly cannot fathom what kind of empty soul has no faith whatsoever, be it a god, alien, or rock.
Report Spam   Logged

paddymcdougall
Expats!
Noob

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2013, 10:07:37 am »

I honestly cannot fathom what kind of empty soul has no faith whatsoever, be it a god, alien, or rock.

Call me empty then!

I like things that can be proved - science. Can't believe that a flying spaghetti monster is watching over us and putting a black mark against us if we lie or steal.

Still manage to have a rich, productive life.

It's ok if you can't fathom it. I can't fathom how someone can believe an invisible god, gods, goddesses are watching what they do, granting them favors or not, and caring if they sleep with their married neighbor. I understand people get comfort from it. I don't understand why.
Report Spam   Logged
paddymcdougall
Expats!
Noob

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2013, 10:08:13 am »

Happy ending to the original story!

Update November 14: The Kansas City Atheist Coalition announced on their website that it will partner with The Micah Ministry of Independence Boulevard to serve a sit-down meal to 500-800 guests on Thanksgiving.

http://blogs.riverfronttimes.com/dailyrft/2013/11/kansas_city_rescue_mission_declines_atheist_thanksgiving_charity.php
Report Spam   Logged
Howey
Administrator
Noob

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2013, 11:08:10 am »

Call me empty then!

I like things that can be proved - science. Can't believe that a flying spaghetti monster is watching over us and putting a black mark against us if we lie or steal.

Still manage to have a rich, productive life.

It's ok if you can't fathom it. I can't fathom how someone can believe an invisible god, gods, goddesses are watching what they do, granting them favors or not, and caring if they sleep with their married neighbor. I understand people get comfort from it. I don't understand why.

Trust me....fairies are real!
Report Spam   Logged

ekg
Administrator
Noob

http://www.thevsj.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2013, 11:37:36 am »

I get both of those comments.. I do believe in  God.. Not in any conventional way... or even biblical way. In fact, I'm of the opinion that the Bible is the word of Man, not God.. and I don't believe God needs us to worship him in churches and give him money.. nor do I think he cares who I sleep with or what drugs I do..Murder,sex,theft,homosexuality... those are societal laws that change with society... and not necessarily God's law, but more of a 'good vs evil' type thing.. where evil and good can be punished or rewarded in some way....  idk whether it's Karma or positive/negative thinking-wishing.. or what, but I believe there is something.

But I believe in Good vs Bad... I believe there is true evil and I believe there is true good .  I can't explain it because it takes a leap of faith to be a believer.. and it's the 'leap' that is utterly unexplainable..

I don't know if I qualify as 'agnostic'.. because I'm not really searching for the answer.. but that's only because I don't think you can find an answer.. it's 'faith' ya know, something you believe even when there isn't any proof. But I've seen too much in my life to not believe.. I can't just label it random coincidence.. because after awhile that becomes just as much of a 'religion' as, well, religion is..LOL.

But yeah, like Mulder said "I believe"... Wink

Report Spam   Logged

Facts are the center. We don’t pretend that certain facts are in dispute to give the appearance of fairness to people who don’t believe them.  Balance is irrelevant to me.  It doesn’t have anything to do with truth, logic or reality. ~Charlie Skinner (the Newsroom)
reverend_darth
Noob

View Profile
Level 4 One year Anniversary 500 Posts
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2013, 03:42:10 pm »

Sorry, I don't believe in fuckin Santa Clause either.
Report Spam   Logged
paddymcdougall
Expats!
Noob

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2013, 04:02:42 pm »

as the Marx brothers say "You can't fool me, there ain't no Sanity Clause." Classic line!
Report Spam   Logged
uselesslegs
Noob

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2013, 04:58:15 pm »

I could just never except causal links that are intertwined with or bound by cosmic sources. It's all to arbitrary. Vile beings rewarded in such immeasurable ways. Gentle, good ones wrapped in misery...where the omnipotent lessons only offer perspective or insight to those bothering to pay attention...or care. And when mystified, where no illumination, no teaching can be gleaned, one must just accept in those instances (so many instances) that there is indeed a design that our limited faculties can't be privy to...because we are not divine, and only in that state could we comprehend. But in either instance, whether we believe or not, we can't opt out. We can't beg to not be a demonstration piece or we void our contract, with our soul.

I'm with Kell. If this Universe contains something we can define as omnipotence...it's not watching, it's not cataloging. I think we were one of the possible outcomes in a Universe that could contain life. And I only say that, because we're here. If it indeed started it all, put things in motion that would eventually arrive at us, their was not the purposeful intent...to arrive at us. We're just the result after 14 billion years....which to me...just adds to how unique *we* truly are.  No awe is diminished, no specialness is muted. That just makes it all the more amazing and incredible...and to me, so much more precious. Much more precious than an entity who just popped us into existence, an existence, so inspired, because it needed our mortal hands to pat it on the head and worship it, with eternal life and eternal worshiping our reward, upon our last breath...or else.  Free Will with conditions is not Free Will, nor is it something a truly benevolent entity would require.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: