Welcome to Bizarro Amerika!
March 28, 2024, 07:51:46 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: OUR POLITIKAL SECTION IS A TROLL FREE AREA. ACT ACCORDINGLY.

Home   Forum   Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Florida Governor Rick Scott: Murderer!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Florida Governor Rick Scott: Murderer!  (Read 378 times)
Howey
Administrator
Noob

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary
« on: April 09, 2014, 06:01:56 pm »

Scott deserves to be arrested, tried and hung for complicity in the death of this woman, who's only crime was being poor in Florida.

Charlene Dill didn’t have to die.

On March 21, Dill was supposed to bring her three children over to the South Orlando home of her best friend, Kathleen Voss Woolrich. The two had cultivated a close friendship since 2008; they shared all the resources that they had, from debit-card PINs to transportation to baby-sitting and house keys. They helped one another out, forming a safety net where there wasn’t one already. They “hustled,” as Woolrich describes it, picking up short-term work, going out to any event they could get free tickets to, living the high life on the low-down, cleaning houses for friends to afford tampons and shampoo. They were the working poor, and they existed in the shadows of the economic recovery that has yet to reach many average people.

So on March 21, when Dill never showed up with her three kids (who often came over to play with her 9-year-old daughter, Zahra), Woolrich was surprised she didn’t even get a phone call from Dill. She shot her a text message – something along the lines of “Thanks for ditching me, LOL” – not knowing what had actually happened. Dill, who was estranged from her husband and raising three children aged 3, 7 and 9 by herself, had picked up yet another odd job. She was selling vacuums on a commission basis for Rainbow Vacuums. On that day, in order to make enough money to survive, she made two last-minute appointments. At one of those appointments, in Kissimmee, she collapsed and died on a stranger’s floor.

Dill’s death was not unpredictable, nor was it unpreventable. She had a documented heart condition for which she took medication. But she also happened to be one of the people who fall within the gap created by the 2012 U.S. Supreme Court ruling that allowed states to opt out of Medicaid expansion, which was a key part of the Affordable Care Act’s intention to make health care available to everyone. In the ensuing two years, 23 states have refused to expand Medicaid, including Florida, which rejected $51 billion from the federal government over the period of a decade to overhaul its Medicaid program to include people like Dill and Woolrich – people who work, but do not make enough money to qualify for the Affordable Care Act’s subsidies. They, like many, are victims of a political war – one that puts the lives and health of up to 17,000 U.S. residents and 2,000 Floridians annually in jeopardy, all in the name of rebelling against President Barack Obama’s health care plan.

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

uselesslegs
Noob

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Level 5 Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2014, 06:47:21 pm »

I read the article earlier and surprise, surprise, according to some of the comments...it's President Obama's fault or, "then she should have done better for herself", or, "why didn't someone help her apply at the pharmaceutical company her meds come from for free medication".  Oi.  There's this purposely oblivious reality that people live in that really troubles me. 

I really and truly do fear what so many of our fellow citizens are becoming.
Report Spam   Logged
Howey
Administrator
Noob

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2014, 06:53:30 pm »

It's insanity.
Report Spam   Logged

paddymcdougall
Expats!
Noob

View Profile
Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Level 5
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2014, 07:05:12 pm »

I read the article earlier and surprise, surprise, according to some of the comments...it's President Obama's fault or, "then she should have done better for herself", or, "why didn't someone help her apply at the pharmaceutical company her meds come from for free medication".  Oi.  There's this purposely oblivious reality that people live in that really troubles me. 

I really and truly do fear what so many of our fellow citizens are becoming.

Why don't people help out their fellow human beings instead of blaming the victim for everything? I fear we have become even more judgemental since the internet allows us to make anonymous comments.

Sure, there are things she could have done. But she was already pretty busy; did she have time to hustle around the insurance companies? did she even know that was an option? Sad. She was working hard, like the conservatives say she should. But they failed to provide her with basic health care. Sucks.
Report Spam   Logged
uselesslegs
Noob

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Level 5 Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2014, 02:55:26 pm »

Why don't people help out their fellow human beings instead of blaming the victim for everything? I fear we have become even more judgemental since the internet allows us to make anonymous comments.

Sure, there are things she could have done. But she was already pretty busy; did she have time to hustle around the insurance companies? did she even know that was an option? Sad. She was working hard, like the conservatives say she should. But they failed to provide her with basic health care. Sucks.

Agreed. 

At no point, from the more negative comments, were there even the tiniest sincere hints, that for someone who was doing exactly what the far right claims poor people don't do--busting their ass working, taking responsibility--of empathy.  I mean real empathy.  But...they can't.  Because in their mind, even the smallest amount of concern displayed for the now dead mother of three, is perhaps an admission that busting your ass working and taking responsibility isn't an infallible, sacrosanct capitalistic life mantra that provides if only you work hard and belieeeeeeeeve.  That maybe our current incarnation of capitalistic, health care expansion reluctant states sometimes, oft times, just completely fucks over and yes...can contribute to killing those abiding by the mantra.  Gawd forbid you show even a scintilla of sympathy, that might as a result beg questions in the process.

I mean how utterly fucked up is it that to support your particular ideology/beliefs demands, that to do so means, you must remove anything from the equation, even sympathy, if doing so might ask you to question said ideology/belief.  That is some grade A, scary ass cult shit right there.

That mother, Ms. Drill, *deserved* better than dropping to the floor and dying in a strangers home, next to a fucking vacuum cleaner that she was trying to sell, because she couldn't afford life saving medication, due to the States unwillingness to expand medicaid.  There is not a god damn thing that is noble about this.  Which, I might add, I saw coldly implied in the Orlando Weekly thread. I paraphrase, "Welp, her children can be proud that while they may have been poor, their momma was trying her best not to be a taker."  That was the closet fucking thing I saw to sympathy from the, "all poor people are lazy", crowd.  God damnit.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 06:45:41 pm by uselesslegs » Report Spam   Logged
ekg
Administrator
Noob

http://www.thevsj.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2014, 03:04:06 pm »

That mother, Ms. Drill, *deserved* better than dropping to the floor and dying in a strangers home, next to a fucking vacuum cleaner that she was trying to sell, because she couldn't afford life saving medication, due to the States unwillingness to expand medicaid...*solely for purely partsian political reasons.* There is not a god damn thing that is noble about this.  Which, I might add, I saw coldly implied in the Orlando Weekly thread. I paraphrase, "Welp, her children can be proud that while they may have been poor, their momma was trying her best not to be a taker."  That was the closet fucking thing I saw to sympathy from the, "all poor people are lazy", crowd.  God damnit.

and that's the kicker... we didn't just refuse to expand medicaid.. we refused because our (R) Governor didn't want to look like an Obama-loving liberal..

the absurdity of that floors me..
Report Spam   Logged

Facts are the center. We don’t pretend that certain facts are in dispute to give the appearance of fairness to people who don’t believe them.  Balance is irrelevant to me.  It doesn’t have anything to do with truth, logic or reality. ~Charlie Skinner (the Newsroom)

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: