Welcome to Bizarro Amerika!
April 18, 2024, 08:09:00 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: THE ONLY POLITICAL FORUM OUT THERE WHOSE ADMIN AND MODS DON'T LIE.

Home   Forum   Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

This Is Even Worse For Florida's Elderly Than Voter IDs.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: This Is Even Worse For Florida's Elderly Than Voter IDs.  (Read 275 times)
Howey
Administrator
Noob

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary
« on: April 13, 2014, 03:45:29 pm »

I'll never understand the convoluted reasoning of this state. Is this another attempt to disenfranchise their voting ability? I think so...

Two years ago, the nonprofit Center for Independent Living of South Florida asked the department run by Elections Supervisor Penelope Townsley, who is appointed by Mayor Carlos Gimenez, about its plans for giving the disabled access to the polls.

Marc Dubin, the center’s director, said he hoped the county would try to find new voting sites to replace polling places without accessible restrooms, or that it would pay for portable toilets outside those locations.

Instead, the elections department told him that it would prohibit all voters from using restrooms. If no voters could go to the bathroom, the county argued, then it could not be accused of discriminating against only the disabled ones.

“This is the most bizarre response I’ve ever gotten, that we’re going to shut down access for everyone so as not to discriminate,” Dubin said.

Not only does Dubin counter that the county’s contention is incorrect — even if no voters are allowed to use the restroom, federal law requires modifications to be made for the disabled, he said — but he also accuses Miami-Dade of trying to keep voters from the polls.

This is a very clear way to suppress the vote,” he said. “Telling people, ‘We have 12-hour lines but you can’t go to the bathroom?’ You can be guaranteed that people won’t come out to vote.

Dubin raised the issue March 31 to the National Commission on Voting Rights, which held a hearing at the University of Miami.

He provided to the Miami Herald an Aug. 1, 2013, email from John Mendez, Miami-Dade’s deputy supervisor of elections for operations, that said “in order to ensure that individuals with disabilities are not treated unfairly, the use of rest rooms by the Voters is not allowed on election day.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

uselesslegs
Noob

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Level 5 Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2014, 04:09:01 pm »

I'm not sure that was a stab at voter suppression, in the purposeful sense, as much as it is just someone who appears to be an ignorant fuck who can't seem to fathom that his suggestion (in action) would potentially suppress votes as a result.

I amazed that it seems such important positions (and they are important) seem to be filled with such equally clueless yokels. 
Report Spam   Logged
paddymcdougall
Expats!
Noob

View Profile
Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Level 5
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2014, 12:10:30 am »

Florida continues to win "idiot of the year" award when it comes to voting.

Hope they don't mind people pee-ing on the lawn or in plastic bottles while in line
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: