Welcome to Bizarro Amerika!
April 20, 2024, 07:37:19 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: WE NOW HAVE A "GRIN" OR "GROAN" FEATURE UNDER THE KARMA.

Home   Forum   Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

The Right's Newest Heroes!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Right's Newest Heroes!  (Read 416 times)
Howey
Administrator
Noob

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary
« on: May 12, 2014, 05:01:29 pm »

After the failures of Richardson, Bundy and others, the right has found new heroes.

Two cute anti-abortion nutcases!

HGTV had announced a new series, “Flip it Forward,” planned for October, starring twins David and Jason Benham.

The concept: After a decade of flipping houses for profit, the Benham guys would now help families buy the home they thought they could never afford — a small-scale, personal “Extreme Makeover: Home Edition.”

But on Wednesday (May 7), quietly, in a tweet, HGTV said the show will not be happening: “HGTV has decided not to move forward with the Benham Brothers’ series.”

“If our faith costs us a television show,” the brothers said in a statement on Thursday, “then so be it.”

According to Towleroad.com, that HGTV was alerted to a Tuesday story by RightWingWatch.org, which looked into the background of the Benham brothers and found them to be “anti-gay, anti-Choice extremists.” A social media campaign quickly took flight to pressure HGTV to cancel the show.

David Benham protested outside of the Democratic National Convention in Charlotte in 2012, which he told conservative radio host Janet Mefferd was needed to stop “homosexuality and its agenda that is attacking the nation,” reports the organization. There is also video on YouTube of David protesting outside of an abortion clinic in 2013.

GlobalFlare.com decried what it called a “smear campaign,” noting, “So what’s wrong with having strong Christian beliefs and standing against the abortion movement in America?”

The article also notes that the twins’ father is Flip Benham, an outspoken anti-abortion activist who is now the director of Operation Rescue. He is perhaps most famous for baptizing Norma McCorvey, the “Jane Roe” behind the 1973 Roe v. Wade decision that legalized abortion.

On their website, David is described as a father of five, a graduate of Liberty University and “a follower of Christ.” Jason is also a Liberty grad, as well as being a father of four, who is often quoted as saying, “For us to take credit for building a successful business would be like a shovel taking credit for digging a hole. We’re simply the tools God chose to use to build a successful business.”

Well, they've got the credentials. Fringe evangelical? Check. Shitload of kids? Check. Ability to say stupid shit? Check. Cries of freedom of speech? Check.

I'm just going to sit back and wait for them to be outed as racists. Cuz you know it's going to happen!

Oh. This is Daddy.

http://www.operationsaveamerica.org/about-us/rev-flip-benham-director/
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

uselesslegs
Noob

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Level 5 Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2014, 06:26:34 pm »

With the advent of the internet and mass media capabilities on most any smart phone utilizing that internet, the "both sides of your mouth" diarrhea that comes out of most of our yappers, or at the end of fingertips, has effectively ended any perceived notion of anonymity.  The shit's that come out of my mouth, recorded for all time on various webboards/forums, pretty much insures 50 percent of anything I say now is either hypocritical or sure to nix any hopes for local office, wheeeeee. Then and now...cringe worthy indeed.

You typed it on a forum, board, blog? You recorded it on the radio or were recorded at a town hall meeting? Prepare yourself if you're going to be in the public eye is all I can say.

It appears neither brother is repentant or particularly worried about any repercussions.  They mean what they say and say what they mean, consequences be damned...praise Jebus.
Report Spam   Logged
paddymcdougall
Expats!
Noob

View Profile
Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Level 5
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2014, 10:51:53 pm »

I'm cool that they are willing to stand behind what they believe, even if I don't agree with what they believe. That is - I'm cool as long as they don't whine about losing a TV show due to their beliefs.

Go for it, guys! you're idiots, but you can be morons in the USA. You just might not get a TV show if you're a moron (of course, that depends HOW you are a moron)
Report Spam   Logged
dougola
Outstanding Citizen

View Profile
Second year Anniversary Level 4 100 Posts
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2014, 01:02:00 pm »

If I go to an Elton John concert and he starts blathering about the political issues in the country, I'm gonna start yelling "Dance Monkey, Dance!"  I pay to see a show, not hear his political bullshit. Same with these brothers on HGTV, which has been cancelled before it ever got to air.  They can talk to me all about houses and good buys buys on them and what rehab ideas are good. Start talking about how they think gays are an abomination, or their political views...":Dance, motherfucking monkeys, Dance!" I want what I'm tuned in to see, not bullshit.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: