Welcome to Bizarro Amerika!
March 29, 2024, 10:51:05 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: WE NOW HAVE A "GRIN" OR "GROAN" FEATURE UNDER THE KARMA.

Home   Forum   Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

THIS COUNTRY HAS GONE TOTALLY COMPLETELY FUCKING NUTS!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: THIS COUNTRY HAS GONE TOTALLY COMPLETELY FUCKING NUTS!  (Read 362 times)
Howey
Administrator
Noob

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary
« on: September 16, 2014, 01:42:10 pm »

Get me the hell outta
here.

Meet the newest vehicle in the arsenal of the San Diego Unified School District, a Mine-Resistant Ambush Protected vehicle, more commonly known as an MRAP, or the US military's answer to the improvised explosive devices (IEDs) so favored by insurgents in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Now, you might be asking, are the officers of the San Diego Unified School District Police (sidebar: is it normal nowadays for school districts to have police departments?) regularly subject to ambushes and/or IEDs? It seems unlikely.

Instead, the district says the vehicle will be used for search and rescue, according to KPBS, the local public broadcaster.

"Our idea is: How can we get in and pull out a classroom at a time of kids if there's an active shooter? If there's a fire [or] if there's an earthquake, can we rip down a wall? Stuff like that," Captain Joe Florentino told KBPS

The MRAP, which is valued at $730,000, was acquired for a mere pittance – $5,000 in shipping fees – through the controversial Excess Property Program, or 1033 program. That's the same Department of Defense setup that has drawn fire following the Ferguson, MO protests.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

uselesslegs
Noob

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Level 5 Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2014, 02:36:59 pm »

The more military equipment we keep giving the police, and in this instance...a school district???...the more we (the average citizen) will become the enemy, or suspect.  It's psych 101.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 03:02:00 am by uselesslegs » Report Spam   Logged
paddymcdougall
Expats!
Noob

View Profile
Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Level 5
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2014, 05:13:11 pm »

agree. Give police these kinds of toys, they will use them .... against us.

Police dept got by JUST FINE without them before, right? Sad.
Report Spam   Logged
ekg
Administrator
Noob

http://www.thevsj.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2014, 09:18:43 pm »

it's the way we've been going for years tho... everyone wants that faux-feeling of saftey and everyone is just so positive that these things will never be used against them, used against those others sure.. but never them..

but as Chuck pointed out.. the scariest part of that entire story isnt the MRAP its that the freaking thing is for the San Diego Unified School District Police

wtf? 
Report Spam   Logged

Facts are the center. We don’t pretend that certain facts are in dispute to give the appearance of fairness to people who don’t believe them.  Balance is irrelevant to me.  It doesn’t have anything to do with truth, logic or reality. ~Charlie Skinner (the Newsroom)
Howey
Administrator
Noob

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2014, 09:41:29 pm »

When I posted this on FB my brother the Whig, yes really, said something about were overreacting. Then my other brother the teabagger said something about his town - in Georgia - buying one to fight the terror threat in Maine?

WTF?Huh?

This is all I could find.

http://www.newmainetimes.org/articles/2013/12/09/smart-money-tin-soldiers-and-nixon-coming/
Report Spam   Logged

Howey
Administrator
Noob

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2014, 09:47:02 pm »

Correction. That was my nephew the libertarian who actually lives in Maine.
Report Spam   Logged

paddymcdougall
Expats!
Noob

View Profile
Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Level 5
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2014, 10:21:59 pm »

they should take all the crap and then sell it off for the value of the scrap metal in them.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: