Welcome to Bizarro Amerika!
March 29, 2024, 08:49:48 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: WE NOW HAVE A "GRIN" OR "GROAN" FEATURE UNDER THE KARMA.

Home   Forum   Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

GAY MARRIAGE LEGAL!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: GAY MARRIAGE LEGAL!  (Read 517 times)
Howey
Administrator
Noob

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary
« on: June 26, 2015, 10:25:51 am »

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/7470036

The U.S. Supreme Court ruled 5-4 on Friday that it is legal for all Americans, no matter their gender or sexual orientation, to marry the people they love.

The decision is a historic victory for gay rights activists who have fought for years in the lower courts. Thirty-seven states and the District of Columbia already recognize marriage equality. The remaining 13 states ban these unions, even as public support has reached record levels nationwide.

The justices found that under the 14th Amendment, states must issues marriage licenses to same-sex couples and recognize same-sex unions that were legally performed in other states. Justice Anthony Kennedy delivered the majority opinion and was joined by Justices Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Elena Kagan, Stephen G. Breyer and Sonia Sotomayor.

I wish I could gloat on JPP and tpf. Paddy...please pass on my joy!
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

ekg
Administrator
Noob

http://www.thevsj.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2015, 11:55:12 am »

to put it simply, about damn time...

congrats Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Facts are the center. We don’t pretend that certain facts are in dispute to give the appearance of fairness to people who don’t believe them.  Balance is irrelevant to me.  It doesn’t have anything to do with truth, logic or reality. ~Charlie Skinner (the Newsroom)
paddymcdougall
Expats!
Noob

View Profile
Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Level 5
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2015, 02:27:07 pm »

to put it simply, about damn time...

congrats Grin

What she said! whooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
Report Spam   Logged
uselesslegs
Noob

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Level 5 Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2015, 03:16:12 pm »

Tis a good day.
Report Spam   Logged
Howey
Administrator
Noob

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2015, 05:11:12 pm »

Tis a good day.

Not for the haters.
Report Spam   Logged

dougola
Outstanding Citizen

View Profile
Second year Anniversary Level 4 100 Posts
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2015, 06:32:54 pm »

I know a guy who quoted a long section is Isiah from the bible on FB this afternoon.  I may have to unfriend him.  You can find support for anything you want in the bible if you "cherry-pick" your quotes.
Report Spam   Logged
paddymcdougall
Expats!
Noob

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2015, 10:15:48 pm »

Not for the haters.

Fuck the haters. Well, no, don't, because - ewwwww. But may the haters end up in a slimy tar-filled pit being chomped on by alligators.
Report Spam   Logged
ekg
Administrator
Noob

http://www.thevsj.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2015, 01:00:37 pm »

Not for the haters.

“We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all Men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness.”

nowhere does it say "well, by 'all' we mean Hetro men"

tell haters to suck your cock...

who knows, 1/2 are probably in the closet and would take you up on it anyway.. Tongue

Report Spam   Logged

Facts are the center. We don’t pretend that certain facts are in dispute to give the appearance of fairness to people who don’t believe them.  Balance is irrelevant to me.  It doesn’t have anything to do with truth, logic or reality. ~Charlie Skinner (the Newsroom)
uselesslegs
Noob

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2015, 01:20:30 pm »

Equality is always hard fought, acceptance too. But this is a mighty step in the right direction.

Now the push back seems to be Polygamy. Not that any of the fringe actually support it, and nevermind the fact that studies show after 100's of years and longer in the countries that permit it, that it does have a negative impact on society, community and the individual...that's besides the point...being spiteful and resentful takes priority.

It's amazing to watch the same effort and fervor, in just one day, being put into rationalizing and defending Polygamy, in an attempt to make it the same thing as gay marriage, in the fight for equality. And again, nevermind that Polygamy can actually be demonstrated with real world facts, that's it's detrimental to society in a variety of ways and monogamous gay marriage isn't, from any reputable study ever done. And mind you, it's obvious not one of these individuals actually give two shits about Polygamy, or actually think it's about equality...they just need to prove the Pandora's Box warning. They need to prove the slippery slope argument they've been screaming about. It is truly mind boggling to watch the extent people would go to for revenge and spite, just to prove a point, even if that means it would *actually* hurt society.

Sooooo, Fuck'em and can't wait to get invited to my first big ass gay wedding!
Report Spam   Logged
paddymcdougall
Expats!
Noob

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2015, 09:43:39 am »

Yeah, in spite of the fact the SCOTUS specifically said the decision extends the right to marry from just heterosexuals to now include homosexuals - they said nothing about polygamy, bestiality, incest, kids, etc -the opponents are screaming now anything goes. Wonder where their minds/hearts are at that they think of those things? I don't hear supporters of SSM talking about it.

On the other forum, Zelmo has declared he and his wife are going to divorce, then just remarry in their church. Oh, apparently they will save lots of money on taxes. So I don't think this has anything to do with the state redefining marriage, and everything to do with him being a cheapskate.

the opponents of SSM are also declaring the states will just stop issuing marriage licenses to anyone. Well, if the states get out of the marriage business, then churches can marry whoever they want - now you have polygamy. So to me, it's the opponents that are pushing unusual definitions of marriage, not the supporters. And when the vast majority of couples are heterosexual, not sure why they want to inconvenience 90% of the people getting married just because they don't like 10% of the couples.

but it's all just hysterics right now. the opponents hate to share their things, and now they are forced to do so. They'll get over it.

Report Spam   Logged
uselesslegs
Noob

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2015, 01:31:55 pm »

They indeed will get over it. Not without some more fight, but they will. And like interracial marriage, except where bigoted outliers exist, it will become another non-harmful, neutral aspect of society.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: