Welcome to Bizarro Amerika!
March 29, 2024, 10:45:19 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: OUR POLITIKAL SECTION IS A TROLL FREE AREA. ACT ACCORDINGLY.

Home   Forum   Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Gay History

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gay History  (Read 1033 times)
Howey
Administrator
Noob

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary
« on: April 15, 2011, 03:17:53 pm »

Why not? We teach history for The Blacks?

SACRAMENTO, April 15 (UPI) -- California is closer to requiring the teaching of gay history in public schools following approval of legislation by the state Senate.

The Fair, Accurate, Inclusive and Respectful Education Act, sponsored by gay San Francisco Democrat Mark Leno, passed on a 23-14 party line vote Thursday, the Desert Sun of Palm Springs reported.

After passage in the Democratic-controlled Assembly and singing by Gov. Jerry Brown, both of which seem likely, California would become the first state to make curricula include notable gay Americans along with the contributions of women and various ethnic groups.

Shaun Travers, a San Diego activist, told San Diego 6: "It's very important that we represent all of California and that includes the LGBT community. Our people and our history."
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Howey
Administrator
Noob

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011, 03:48:28 pm »

Gotta laugh at the comments:

http://nation.foxnews.com/gay-history/2011/04/14/ca-bill-mandates-gay-history-classes
Report Spam   Logged

uselesslegs
Noob

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Level 5 Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2011, 04:12:52 pm »

If the class is like Gay Days at Disney...I'd sign up.
Report Spam   Logged
Celynni
Tourist

View Profile
Combination Level 2 Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2011, 01:32:20 am »

The AP reports that SB48, aka the California bill, passed the state legislature. Lawmakers in Sacramento voted 49-25 in support of the bill which would make California public schools the first in the country to weave lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender achievements into social studies subjects. Gov. Jerry Brown will soon decide on SB48. The proof is here:California gay history bill passes state assembly
Report Spam   Logged
betteroffhere
Founding Member
Noob

View Profile
Tenth year Anniversary Level 6 Nineth year Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2011, 04:36:36 am »

when a state goes deep into the red...

they really pull out all of the stops...

it seems like common sense...

awareness is important...advocacy however should be done elsewhere
Report Spam   Logged

uselesslegs
Noob

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Level 5 Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2011, 01:07:50 pm »

when a state goes deep into the red...

they really pull out all of the stops...

it seems like common sense...

awareness is important...advocacy however should be done elsewhere

That's the kicker...when and where does just sighting, or in this case directly pointing out, that there's been omissions...become advocacy.  Does the fine line exist when a portion of society sees the omission as unnecessary or even unwarranted, based on cultural/religious standards?  It gets rather involved very quickly.

I will say, in my personal opinion, that the exclusion is directly correlated to religious views of acceptability...because under a secular dynamic...there's no reason the inclusion of history, as it relates to key figures who were homosexual, should be omitted.  

If it should pass, I do foresee however, that an effort will be made (perhaps not overtly, but with intention) to emphasize that individuals who were "unsavory", in history who were/are homosexual, are somehow MORE egregious BECAUSE of their homosexuality, than like "unsavory" figures who were/are heterosexual.

It should be interesting to see.
Report Spam   Logged
Howey
Administrator
Noob

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2011, 02:54:50 pm »

At one time in the history of mankind children were taught that the Earth was flat.

At one time in the history of mankind children were taught that man and dinosaur walked alongsuide each other.

At one time in the history of mankind children were taught that negroes and women were inferior.

Enlightenment is  glorious!

Unfortunately, approximately one-half of Americans today still believe at least two of the three statements above.

If the current trend towards unregulated evangelical homeschooling continues, we'll see  more and more believing again that all three statements are true.
Report Spam   Logged

FooFa
Founding Member
Noob

View Profile
Webmaster Search Windows User
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2011, 03:09:14 pm »

In the earth's secret history that I'm reading slowly, they mention how in ancient graves they've found same sex put together in the same way that man and wife often want to be buried alongside each other. Implication being that it was not a big deal back then.
Report Spam   Logged

Howey
Administrator
Noob

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2011, 01:56:40 pm »

The AP reports that SB48, aka the California bill, passed the state legislature. Lawmakers in Sacramento voted 49-25 in support of the bill which would make California public schools the first in the country to weave lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender achievements into social studies subjects. Gov. Jerry Brown will soon decide on SB48. The proof is here:California gay history bill passes state assembly

Great news!

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2011/07/15/MNL61KAHVQ.DTL
Report Spam   Logged

Howey
Administrator
Noob

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2011, 06:38:38 pm »

For those of you on FB, Shannon picked up on an Orlando Sentinel article on this...

You would not believe the incredible homophobia of some of his followers! If you don't have FB, read the comments below. Fucking sad...

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/opinion/todaysbuzz/os-poll-gay-lesbian-american-history-schools-072611,0,672129,post.poll
Report Spam   Logged

Howey
Administrator
Noob

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2011, 08:01:42 pm »

Shannon: I asked you to come over here because it's difficult to stomach the comments from the idiots who follow you on FB.

You know damn well that the "theory of creationism" just came dangerously close to passage in your home state of Texas and is supported by a majority of Republican candidates for the presidency.

Shame on you for promotong homophobia...
Report Spam   Logged

shannonburke
Tourist

I never got a job from a poor person.

View Profile
Topic Starter Combination Level 2
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2011, 08:49:02 am »

Shannon: I asked you to come over here because it's difficult to stomach the comments from the idiots who follow you on FB.

You know damn well that the "theory of creationism" just came dangerously close to passage in your home state of Texas and is supported by a majority of Republican candidates for the presidency.

Shame on you for promotong homophobia...
Howey, what does one's sexual orientation have to do with their contributions to history? Read my previous posts. If you contributed to history, we teach about it. What does it matter that you are gay? Gay people have contributed to history since the beginning of time, valuable contributions. Does their sexuality make their contributions any more or less historic? I don't care that Tennesee Williams was gay, I do however value his literary works. Why does everyone have to have their sexuality as an identifier next to their
name?
You know me Howey. I may be conservative but I support gay rights, gay marriage, gay adoption etc. But to teach "gay history" is idiotic, divisive and counter productive.
Report Spam   Logged
Howey
Administrator
Noob

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2011, 09:13:41 am »

Howey, what does one's sexual orientation have to do with their contributions to history? Read my previous posts. If you contributed to history, we teach about it. What does it matter that you are gay? Gay people have contributed to history since the beginning of time, valuable contributions. Does their sexuality make their contributions any more or less historic? I don't care that Tennesee Williams was gay, I do however value his literary works. Why does everyone have to have their sexuality as an identifier next to their
name?
You know me Howey. I may be conservative but I support gay rights, gay marriage, gay adoption etc. But to teach "gay history" is idiotic, divisive and counter productive.

Ms Peterson, omitted? DaVinci? Tchaikovsky? Oscar Wilde? Cole Porter? Noel Coward? Laurence Olivier? Tennessee Williams? Eleanor Roosevelt, Melissa Etheridge, Martina Navratilova, Billie Jean King, Barney Frank, J. Edgar Hoover, Rock Hudson.

I didn't know that five of the people you listed were gay. I'm willing to wager that a hetero wouldn't realize even more than that were, either. Other than Billie Jean King, of course.  Wink

I think the problem with this is that you and others are looking at this through your own eyes, minds, and prejudices...while I look at it like enlightening the young listener to these persons accomplishments in spite of the societal stigma of their sexuality.

For example:

"Booker T. Washington was a prominent black leader of a century ago."

"Martina Navritolova was a lesbian tennis player who was one of the world's greatest."

The crux of those statements is not directed at you, me, or those who follow your words. It's directed to the young man or woman facing the stigma of their skin color or their own sexuality and the societal bigotry that comes with it while at the same time adjusting and coping with young adulthood. The realization that "Hey, if that famous person was so successful and happened to be gay, maybe I can be too." I know I certainly could have appreciated it when I was growing up.

It's about role models for our youth. There's nothing wrong with that. What is wrong is the ignorance of those refuse to accept anything but the "norm".
Report Spam   Logged

shannonburke
Tourist

I never got a job from a poor person.

View Profile
Topic Starter Combination Level 2
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2011, 09:14:19 am »

Why not? We teach history for The Blacks?

Really Howey? "The Blacks"??!! You racist!!
Report Spam   Logged
Howey
Administrator
Noob

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2011, 09:18:10 am »

Really Howey? "The Blacks"??!! You racist!!

lol...that was about the time The Donald called them that.  Wink

Sarcasm, my friend, sarcasm...
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: