Welcome to Bizarro Amerika!
March 28, 2024, 09:29:09 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: THE ONLY POLITICAL FORUM OUT THERE WHOSE ADMIN AND MODS DON'T LIE.

Home   Forum   Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

The Man Who Gives Corrupt a Whole New Meaning

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Man Who Gives Corrupt a Whole New Meaning  (Read 3094 times)
clc

Badges: (View All)
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2011, 08:02:51 pm »

Well, you guys are certainly proving adult and intellectual conversation is possible...or maybe not.
Report Spam   Logged
lil mike
Noob

View Profile
Topic Starter Combination Level 3
« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2011, 10:13:50 pm »

Well, you guys are certainly proving adult and intellectual conversation is possible...or maybe not.

I know which way I'm leaning.
Report Spam   Logged
Howey
Administrator
Noob

View Profile
Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary
« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2011, 10:29:50 pm »

Lean? All you neee to do is look up.

Report Spam   Logged

lil mike
Noob

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2011, 11:23:29 am »

Show me.
Report Spam   Logged
Howey
Administrator
Noob

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2011, 05:00:09 pm »

Show me.

The crook's rakin' in the cash!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20110512/us_nm/us_usa_prisons_florida

Florida has opened the doors to one of the biggest prison privatization programs in U.S. history, as the cash-strapped state looks to cut the cost of keeping more than 100,000 people behind bars.

The privatization plan, touted by the industry as "an important milestone" for the private prison business, was approved by the Republican-dominated Florida legislature as part of a budget deal hammered out last week.

Private prison operators have already made big inroads in states like Texas and New Mexico. But Florida has the third largest state prison system in the United States, and no other state has sought to privatize so many lock-ups at any one time.

The move has drawn sharp criticism from law enforcement groups and even some leading Republicans, who say it endangers public safety in a state still trying to shake off a history of prison abuse and corruption, as depicted in the popular 1967 Hollywood film "Cool Hand Luke" set in Florida starring Paul Newman.

Others say private prisons don't have incentives to rehabilitate inmates and are focused instead on profits.

The plan has not yet been signed into law by Republican Governor Rick Scott, who took office in January after campaigning on a pledge to fight record-high unemployment.

But few doubt that Scott, who puts a premium on cost-cutting and close ties with the business community, will endorse the initiative even though it could lead to layoffs and sharply reduced wages and benefits for 4,500 prison guards.

Critics condemn the privatization move as an example of the corrosive effect of corporate money in politics.

Coupled with other austerity measures introduced under the leadership of the Tea Party-backed Scott, it could hurt Republicans in the run-up to next year's election in the pivotal battleground state.

"For the first time in my life I'm thinking about switching parties," said Jim Baiardi, a 45-year-old prison guard and life-long Republican who heads the correctional officers chapter of the Florida Police Benevolent Association.

The privatization plan is "not for the benefit of the state, it's for the benefit of the corporations," Baiardi said.

Under the plan, the state is required to privatize all of the prisons in South Florida, which is home to about one-fifth of the statewide inmate population of 101,000.

That includes at least 16 prisons along with numerous annexes, juvenile correction facilities, road camps and so-called work-release centers across an 18-county region.

"It's unprecedented in the United States," said Florida Senator Mike Fasano, a Republican who heads the Senate budget committee with oversight of prisons.
Report Spam   Logged

lil mike
Noob

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2011, 06:31:02 pm »

Yep.  It's safe to say you didn't understand what I was talking about.
Report Spam   Logged
FooFa
Founding Member
Noob

View Profile
Webmaster Search Windows User
« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2011, 06:46:37 pm »

you didn't understand what I was talking about.
Report Spam   Logged

lil mike
Noob

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2011, 07:04:51 pm »

Ha!

You got the characters right!
Report Spam   Logged
Howey
Administrator
Noob

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2011, 07:14:41 pm »

I'm glad to see Scott still has your unwavering support.

Perhaps you can explain the benefits of these private prisons. Noone else can.
Report Spam   Logged

lil mike
Noob

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2011, 08:31:47 pm »

I'm glad to see Scott still has your unwavering support.

Perhaps you can explain the benefits of these private prisons. Noone else can.

Context is everything. 

I'm going to make it easy for you.  I'm actually going to break down the comment that I was responding to.

Show me.

Now here is where you went off track.

The crook's rakin' in the cash!

Which leads us to...

Does that help?

As far as private prisons go, do you not see why they would be cheaper?
Report Spam   Logged
Howey
Administrator
Noob

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2011, 09:59:18 am »

Context is everything. 

I'm going to make it easy for you.  I'm actually going to break down the comment that I was responding to.

Now here is where you went off track.

Which leads us to...

Does that help?

Oh My Goodness Gracious.

You didn't have to do that, Mikie! I just mistakenly quoted something, that's all...

But, to clarify...When I said:

Lean? All you need to do is look up.

It was in reference to a News Item in the marquee referring to your persistent inability to "get along" with others without personal insults. But that is a closed subject now, isn't it?

As far as private prisons go, do you not see why they would be cheaper?

No, I don't. I see a money pit rife with personal and political graft and corruption. Please explain how private prisons would be cheaper, and better. Because, from what I've read, they're not.

Early this month, three convicted murderers escaped from a prison in Kingman, a small town along Route 66 in northwest Arizona. According to reports, the inmates had broken free from the facility by using a pair of wire cutters. They'd escaped from a medium-security facility operated by Utah-based Management & Training Corp, a private corrections company.

The incident set off a political furor, not over the fact that the three violent criminals were being held in a medium-security prison, but over the security of the facility itself, and, ultimately, over Arizona's widespread use of private correctional facilities.

Arizona's attorney general, Terry Goddard, a Democrat running for governor against incumbent Republican Janice Brewer, took the opportunity to indict the state's infatuation with privatization.

"I believe a big part of our problem is that the very violent inmates, like the three that escaped, ended up getting reclassified [as a lower risk] quickly and sent to private prisons that were just not up to the job," Goddard told a local TV news station.

In recent years, the trend toward privatization, both among state governments and at the federal level has been part of an attempt to address serious budget troubles and crisis-level prison overcrowding by outsourcing more and more corrections operations to private companies.

The move has translated into big business for industry leaders like Corrections Corporation of America (CXW), The Geo Group (GEO) and Cornell Companies, Inc. (CRN) (just last week, The Geo Group and Cornell finalized a merger valued at $730 million).

That law in Arizona, btw, has been signed into law.
Report Spam   Logged

lil mike
Noob

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2011, 10:54:01 am »

Oh My Goodness Gracious.

You didn't have to do that, Mikie! I just mistakenly quoted something, that's all...

OK that's fine.  It didn't seem like you realized it.
Report Spam   Logged
ekg
Administrator
Noob

http://www.thevsj.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2011, 12:01:28 pm »

No, I don't. I see a money pit rife with personal and political graft and corruption.

oh just a smidgeee..

Pennsylvania rocked by 'jailing kids for cash' scandal

Ciavarella, 58, along with Conahan, 56, corruptly and fraudulently "created the potential for an increased number of juvenile offenders to be sent to juvenile detention facilities," federal court documents alleged. Children would be placed in private detention centers, under contract with the court, to increase the head count. In exchange, the two judges would receive kickbacks.

fucking kids.. the greed is so out of fucking control, they jailed kids to line their pocket.

Question, if a company's profit depends on how many prisoners they have.. how do they get more profit?  Uh I know, find a cop,DA, or judge willing to play ball so they lock more people up..

ooooooooooooooooooooooooo big shocker there.

almost as big of a shock as if a company's profit depends on keeping the majority of the money it's subscribers pay them each month,  then how do they keep that money? Uhhhhh deny their medical claims..

some things should simply not be privatized and for profit.. and prisons are definitely one of them..

Report Spam   Logged

Facts are the center. We don’t pretend that certain facts are in dispute to give the appearance of fairness to people who don’t believe them.  Balance is irrelevant to me.  It doesn’t have anything to do with truth, logic or reality. ~Charlie Skinner (the Newsroom)
Howey
Administrator
Noob

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 15, 2011, 12:42:12 pm »

OK that's fine.  It didn't seem like you realized it.

So you're not going to answer my question, huh?

oh just a smidgeee..

fucking kids.. the greed is so out of fucking control, they jailed kids to line their pocket.

Question, if a company's profit depends on how many prisoners they have.. how do they get more profit?  Uh I know, find a cop,DA, or judge willing to play ball so they lock more people up..

ooooooooooooooooooooooooo big shocker there.

It's interesting how this is starting out in South Florida. Seems like there's a whole hell of a lot of them Messicans down there, huh?

almost as big of a shock as if a company's profit depends on keeping the majority of the money it's subscribers pay them each month,  then how do they keep that money? Uhhhhh deny their medical claims..

some things should simply not be privatized and for profit.. and prisons are definitely one of them..

The whole "We'll save the state money by not giving the prison guards and admin staff pensions and health benefits" line is a scam (go figure).

How many of these prison guards and admin staff are going to be around when the privateers (!) take over? None. They're all going to be fired, or laid off, thus increasing our rolls of unemployed. Thankfully, Florida now has the worst unemployment system in the nation, thanks to Scott of course!

Who's going to replace them? Scott will, like the Governor of Arizona and other states have done: Hire one of their own to head the state prison system, effectively handing them control of everything. The guards and admin staff? Replaced by $8 hr untrained goons brought in from other states where they already have a foothold. Folks who don't give a damn about the prisoners, just their next paycheck.

You thought the TSA was bad?
Report Spam   Logged

uselesslegs
Noob

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Level 5 Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #44 on: May 15, 2011, 04:13:35 pm »

Private prisons, as they expand outward, will "magicallyyy" be in place...as the inmate population "suddenly" starts to rise.  If there's no profit in it...it's not worth their time...and profit equates to a full house...overflow is better.

As was stated above...certain things should not ever be private business...it sets up a bottom line dynamic...and that becomes dangerous.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: