Welcome to Bizarro Amerika!
March 28, 2024, 08:51:41 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: OUR POLITIKAL SECTION IS A TROLL FREE AREA. ACT ACCORDINGLY.

Home   Forum   Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Egypt

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Egypt  (Read 1872 times)
Howey
Administrator
Noob

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary
« on: January 29, 2011, 12:11:09 pm »

I think the average lefty (and me), would tend to watch MSNBC, rather than CNBC.  As a business channel, CNBC is the red headed stepchild of the NBC Universal TV family.  Although I imagine CNBC did have some coverage of Egypt.  But what's going on in Egypt is a big deal.  Last year we had street unrest in Iran that was eventually put down.  Last week street unrest collapsed the Tunisan government.   So now the same thing is going on in Egypt, and Egypt is quite a bit more important than Tunisa. If the Egyptian government collapses (and it could unless the government takes a very hard line against the unrest), it's a game changer.  Egypt might end up with a secular representative government, or... a Muslim Brotherhood dominated government.
In 1989 Ceausescu didn't take a hard line and found himself on the business end of a firing squad.  The Iranian government didn't take any such chances and are still in power.  That's probably going through Mubarak's mind right now.

Please tell me you're not in favor of Mubarek taking a "hard line".
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Howey
Administrator
Noob

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2011, 05:40:46 pm »

I think I had mentioned on some other thread or subject before about the gradual Islamization of the middle east, from the 1950's, when the educated elites were Western oriented and focused, to now, when the educated elites are becoming more islamic.  Anyway I re found that site that had those photos.

http://pajamasmedia.com/phyllischesler/2010/01/28/the-steady-erosion-of-womens-rights-in-egypt-a-photographic-story/

Cairo University, class of 1959:

Cairo University, class of 2004:

That's why if the protestors win, it could go either way.  A secular representative republic, or an Iran style Islamic state.

Who would of thought that the island of stability of in the middle east might be Iraq?

You do know that the woman who wrote that piece married an "educated elite" Afghan in 1961 and was taken to his country and imprisoned by him and his family?

So...when exactly did these "educated elites"  become "more islamic"? 

Was that you that gave the pitiful link to Pajamas Media to Sam the other day? lol...hopefully he's gone from there for good now after being so roundly reamed by ekg and Darth.

So what are you hoping for in Egypt?
Report Spam   Logged

ekg
Administrator
Noob

http://www.thevsj.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2011, 08:16:13 pm »

I'm sorry to say that I have been moving and I haven't seen any tv since Thursday really..  this does seem to be a mess though.. do we support the guy who has been there for 30 yrs and 'wink-wink' elected each time? or do we hope that real democracy takes over? 

Egypt has a very conservative Muslim streak just under the surface and if that takes over, we're in for a whole new world..

Report Spam   Logged

Facts are the center. We don’t pretend that certain facts are in dispute to give the appearance of fairness to people who don’t believe them.  Balance is irrelevant to me.  It doesn’t have anything to do with truth, logic or reality. ~Charlie Skinner (the Newsroom)
Howey
Administrator
Noob

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2011, 09:10:22 am »

I'm sorry to say that I have been moving and I haven't seen any tv since Thursday really..  this does seem to be a mess though.. do we support the guy who has been there for 30 yrs and 'wink-wink' elected each time? or do we hope that real democracy takes over? 

Egypt has a very conservative Muslim streak just under the surface and if that takes over, we're in for a whole new world..

Moving? Obama bought you a home?  Wink

Mubarek has been a dictator too long and the people have spoken. I've always said (hell, since Vietnam) when the people want change, change will happen. I don't think the Egyptian people will allow the Muslim Brotherhood to take over the government, although it's obvious lilMike's convinced that'll happen.

I sent him a msg on his blog to join this discussion. Maybe he will....
Report Spam   Logged

lil mike
Noob

View Profile
Topic Starter Combination Level 3
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2011, 07:27:48 pm »

Mubarek has been a dictator too long and the people have spoken. I've always said (hell, since Vietnam) when the people want change, change will happen. I don't think the Egyptian people will allow the Muslim Brotherhood to take over the government, although it's obvious lilMike's convinced that'll happen.

In the absence of my posts, do you just make up stuff you think I'm going to say?

I don't know how much of an influence the Muslim Brotherhood would have in a post Mubarak Egypt, but  since they are in parliament now, I imagine they will have some influence.  But I'm in favor of Mubarak stepping down and a new government forming anyway.   One that will have fair elections.  Hopefully one that will allow more individual liberty, but hey one step at a time.  It's a risk of course since since the current Egyptian government is an ally now, and maintains peace with Israel.  I suspect no matter how would take power in a post Mubarak Egypt, they will be less friendly to Israel and more likely to look the other way (more than usual) at the Gaza border.  The US seems to be looking beyond Mubarak now and that's a good thing.

However I wish they had been willing to do that last year when Iran was in upheaval.  The Prez bet on the Mullahs instead of the protestors, which was crazy in my opinion.  Unlike Egypt, there was virtually no chance any government replacing the current Iranian one would be worse for us than the one we have now.

No I didn't give Sam the link to that website.  He's hardly on the board much anymore anyway, so why worry about him?

Report Spam   Logged
ekg
Administrator
Noob

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2011, 08:50:57 pm »

HA!

noo..  got this one on my own Wink

It's an interesting thing to watch and think about. It would be great to have a more democratic leader in the region, but I still don't know if the people are ready for such a leader. It seems they do better under the guys that aren't evil, but maybe a little on the 'dictator-Y' side of things..
one thing that would bring about the wrong kind of change is to go all Kent-state on all the protesters... that will incite more and definitely bring out the class of leaders we don't want to see take over..

no matter what, it's got to be a pretty tight line Obama in walking on right now..
Report Spam   Logged

Facts are the center. We don’t pretend that certain facts are in dispute to give the appearance of fairness to people who don’t believe them.  Balance is irrelevant to me.  It doesn’t have anything to do with truth, logic or reality. ~Charlie Skinner (the Newsroom)
Howey
Administrator
Noob

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2011, 08:59:07 am »

In the absence of my posts, do you just make up stuff you think I'm going to say?

I don't know how much of an influence the Muslim Brotherhood would have in a post Mubarak Egypt, but  since they are in parliament now, I imagine they will have some influence.No I didn't give Sam the link to that website.  He's hardly on the board much anymore anyway, so why worry about him?

Hey...don't jump on moi! You're the one who said:

If the Egyptian government collapses (and it could unless the government takes a very hard line against the unrest),
I figured you were lockstep in with the pubs and Bolton on this one...

As far as the Muslim Brotherhood: It's called representative democracy, ya know...Kinda like what we have? Just think of the Muslim Brotherhood (who are a. working hard to maintain civility in Egypt right now, and b. have publicly stated they DO NOT want to get involved other than that) as the Egyptian Tea Party. Gotta give the extreme kooks a voice, ya know...

Unlike Egypt, there was virtually no chance any government replacing the current Iranian one would be worse for us than the one we have now.

See? There ya go again! Why are you so down on the Egyptian people? I don't see them chanting anti-American slogans in the streets. Do you think they're going to allow a crazy fundamentalist Islamist government? One who won't let them have their cell phones and internet?

He's hardly on the board much anymore anyway, so why worry about him?

I love it!
Report Spam   Logged

Howey
Administrator
Noob

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2011, 09:08:01 am »

Wait. No comment on poor little Ms. abused Chesler's sob story? Just how have the fundamentalist Islamics changed since the 1960's???
Report Spam   Logged

Howey
Administrator
Noob

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2011, 09:10:55 am »

HA!
It's an interesting thing to watch and think about. It would be great to have a more democratic leader in the region, but I still don't know if the people are ready for such a leader. It seems they do better under the guys that aren't evil, but maybe a little on the 'dictator-Y' side of things..
one thing that would bring about the wrong kind of change is to go all Kent-state on all the protesters... that will incite more and definitely bring out the class of leaders we don't want to see take over..

no matter what, it's got to be a pretty tight line Obama in walking on right now..

Obama, and Hillary, are doing great - and the right thing. I'm sure that pisses the pubs and Bolton off. I've been glued to Twitter since this began, it's amazing the popular support among the Egyptians for Mubarek's removal.
Report Spam   Logged

lil mike
Noob

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2011, 09:26:43 pm »

Sorry I've been working a lot lately so I've no idea what Bolton's view is.  The only conservative type that I've heard have a consistant negative spin is Hannity. 

But I'm glad to welcome you to the neo-con fold, spreading democracy throughout the middle east, you go Bush Jr.!
Report Spam   Logged
Howey
Administrator
Noob

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2011, 05:41:00 pm »

Sorry I've been working a lot lately so I've no idea what Bolton's view is.  The only conservative type that I've heard have a consistant negative spin is Hannity. 

But I'm glad to welcome you to the neo-con fold, spreading democracy throughout the middle east, you go Bush Jr.!

Wait. You watch Hannity? I thought you said you didn't? I believe the Republican spin on Egypt is supporting the Mubarak dictatorship...

Since when is it the neocon way to back democratic take downs of dictators? I thought you guys like to put them in power?

Remember Saddam? Afghanistan? Countless others?

Still no answer on Chesler, huh? You gonna at least take back your claim on the muche about her?
Report Spam   Logged

lil mike
Noob

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2011, 10:10:11 pm »

Wait. You watch Hannity? I thought you said you didn't? I believe the Republican spin on Egypt is supporting the Mubarak dictatorship...

Since when is it the neocon way to back democratic take downs of dictators? I thought you guys like to put them in power?

Still no answer on Chesler, huh? You gonna at least take back your claim on the muche about her?

As far as Chesler, you've told me nothing to invalidate those pics I've posted on the muche.  Are they fraudulent?  If not, I'm not sure what your point is.  Go to the muche and reply.  Set me straight and put me in my place.

How quickly you forget your "principles!"  I guess they were not really.  Principles I mean.  That whole spreading democracy thing is pure neocon!  Go back and pull Bush's 2005 inaugeration speech.

The people who put the strong men dictators in power were the realpolitik guys, like Kissinger.  You really don't even know enough about this issue to discuss it with me, which is really ironic since you've been bleating about neocons for years, and now it seems like you didn't have the first clue what they stood for.

So... last year when the Iranians hit the streets?  Obama was supporting the mullahs then, and wanted the people rioting in the streets to calm down.  Were you with Obama or the demonstrators then?
Report Spam   Logged
ekg
Administrator
Noob

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2011, 10:37:57 am »

when drunk,stoned or both..  Grin I've taken to watching Hannity. It's like a really, really, really scalding bath.. you have to get in an inch at a time or your heart will explode.. anyway, I tried last night for about 2 mins and yep, this whole Egypt thing is Obama's fault. See the wind blew a little bit out of the west that day and Obama didn't know it,predict it, or stop it..   Roll Eyes some 'anointed one' he is!

seriously, he didn't do anything to cause it.. so it's his fault.
he did cause it, so it's his fault

he didn't stop it.. so it's his fault
he didn't chose this side.. so it's his fault
he didn't chose that side.. so it's his fault

the bestest is he didn't know it was going to happen.. so of course, it's his fault.

I wonder what will be his fault tomorrow? the wind blowing down a tree in Siberia?

probably..

oddly, not a single GOP presidential candidate (ie, all of Fox news).. knew or mentioned it before now either... huh, wonder why. they know everything else.. so why didn't they know this was coming?

Report Spam   Logged

Howey
Administrator
Noob

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2011, 06:11:59 pm »

I can see you watching Hannity, even if just for the sheer entertainment of it.

But lilMike, if I'm not wrong, always says he watches CNN or MSNBC, not Hannity. Unless he's channelling Sam, of course.  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

lil mike
Noob

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2011, 09:37:47 pm »

I can see you watching Hannity, even if just for the sheer entertainment of it.

But lilMike, if I'm not wrong, always says he watches CNN or MSNBC, not Hannity. Unless he's channelling Sam, of course.  Grin

Well you're wrong!  No surprise there!  I hardly ever watch CNN, but yes I do primarily watch MSNBC/NBC for my news. I'm a faithful Hardball viewer.  He provides more comedy in one show than the comedy channel does all week!

I used to watch papa bear, but since O'Donnell took over from Olbermann, I'm watching O'Donnell.  He actually has some useful expertise.

But I will watch Hannity.  I don't remember saying I don't watch him, but it may have been true at the time.  Obviously any other entertainment shows take precedence over the cable talkers.

Man your obsession with Sam... when are you going to show up at his workplace?
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: