Welcome to Bizarro Amerika!
April 18, 2024, 08:11:07 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: WE NOW HAVE A "GRIN" OR "GROAN" FEATURE UNDER THE KARMA.

Home   Forum   Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Jerry Buell Is a Shitty Teacher!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jerry Buell Is a Shitty Teacher!  (Read 2788 times)
uselesslegs
Noob

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Fifth year Anniversary Level 5 Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2011, 07:36:42 pm »

a barrier...wow...

he empowered them...empowered them to affect their education...in a postive way

he provided an option to these students that would allow them to remove themselves from his teaching...

and for that...being honest...you know have a reason to hate

The way I seem to view this, is that while it could be said he provided students an option to leave his class if they didn't like his views on homosexuality, as it pertains to his religious views...he's merely a bigot who spoke his mind.  Maybe there's a crumb of positive, in that, a gay student who otherwise wouldn't understand why their scores were being affected, (if the teacher were the type to grade based on his emotions/religions rather than purely unbiased scholastic achievement) would have a heads up.

But otherwise, it's a bigot who spoke his mind.  "Don't let me know your gay...and we've/you got no problems."  While it's still up in the air whether his dogma would have affected grading...he did gay students no great favor with exposing his views.

To me, it's no different than a KKK member saying, "I don't care much for niggers."  Yea, he was honest...but it's quite the stretch to view the heads up as a positive.

Report Spam   Logged
Evil Eye
Tourist

Critical Thinking is imperitive.

View Profile
Level 3 10 Posts Windows User
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2011, 08:48:03 pm »

I'm not following the slippery slope argument... so leave me out of it.

I'm saying simply that as a government representative, his personal religious views have no place. PERIOD. AND... it IS the law.
Report Spam   Logged

Just me.
Howey
Administrator
Noob

View Profile
Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary
« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2011, 08:53:14 pm »

Today a gay teenager killed himself. He lived in Michele Bachmann's district, whose school system is notoriously known for ignoring gay students. Do we want Florida schools like this? Because Mr. Buell does.
Report Spam   Logged

bknabe
Tourist

View Profile
Topic Starter Level 1 First Post
« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2011, 09:14:40 pm »

To betteroffhere;

You obviously don't understand the way separation of Church and State works. The second Jerry Buell put in his syllabus that he teaches God's truth he was in trouble. When he said he wouldn't change that pretty much guaranteed he couldn't teach in public schools. Separation of Church and State does not mean that you can't be a Christian and teach, it means that you can't be a Christian teacher and preach in the classroom. Jerry Buell pretty much broadcast that he would be using his classroom as his pulpit. You can't do that.

I have issues with the idea you can't have a Bible in your classroom - mainly because complaints only seem to occur when it is the Bible, not when it's the Qu'Ran or other religious teachings. But you very definitely can't preach in the classroom of a public school. If you are going to consider the classroom your mission field, you need to go teach in the mission field, or let your life do your preaching for you.
Report Spam   Logged
bknabe
Tourist

View Profile
Topic Starter Level 1 First Post
« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2011, 09:18:47 pm »

Today a gay teenager killed himself. He lived in Michele Bachmann's district, whose school system is notoriously known for ignoring gay students. Do we want Florida schools like this? Because Mr. Buell does.

I would hope that no one wants teenagers (or anyone else) killing themselves, whether or not they are gay. If you want to change anyone's life for the better you can't treat them with hate, you have to show them love. Somewhere Jerry Buell's version of Christianity lost or missed that.
Report Spam   Logged
betteroffhere
Founding Member
Noob

View Profile
Tenth year Anniversary Level 6 Nineth year Anniversary
« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2011, 04:03:15 am »

To betteroffhere;

You obviously don't understand the way separation of Church and State works. The second Jerry Buell put in his syllabus that he teaches God's truth he was in trouble. When he said he wouldn't change that pretty much guaranteed he couldn't teach in public schools. Separation of Church and State does not mean that you can't be a Christian and teach, it means that you can't be a Christian teacher and preach in the classroom. Jerry Buell pretty much broadcast that he would be using his classroom as his pulpit. You can't do that.

I have issues with the idea you can't have a Bible in your classroom - mainly because complaints only seem to occur when it is the Bible, not when it's the Qu'Ran or other religious teachings. But you very definitely can't preach in the classroom of a public school. If you are going to consider the classroom your mission field, you need to go teach in the mission field, or let your life do your preaching for you.

yes...he over stepped his position when declaring he teaches god's truth...violated laws...i'm not so sure...

and i'll tie that in with whats in italics...."pretty much"...

the statement in and of itself makes no claims...there was no direct claim made to a specific god...

he did not endorse one god over another...he mearly provided an example of what rules he governs his life by....

he did not say he intended to instruct students about god...he did not say his intentions were to use the school classroom

as his pulpit...he didn't say he would ridicule gay students...or athestic stundents...wtf...why the leaps and jumps...

i must note here : i have not been to his facebook nor viewed any video on youtube...

so he may have said something i can't reasonably defend....which would piss me the fuck off...

after investing in this dialogue...

but...if you can show me where he said he was going to use his power as a teacher in his classroom to use it as a pulpit or recuitment center...

i'd say hell yeah...fire that fuck !!!!

except...i don't think you can show me that...

and the best you can do...is imply...with stuff like...."pretty much"

your turn !
Report Spam   Logged

betteroffhere
Founding Member
Noob

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2011, 04:17:08 am »

RIF

Maybe you should have Coach F sign in and try to argue your case, cuz you ain't doin' yourself any good at this rate (and, yes, ekg and I knew since day 1  Grin)

lymi

this entire post right here is uncalled for...

i hit a nerve somewhere with you didn't eye ?

i'm sure EKG would tell you for as long as i have been around...i would know who's gonna know what behind the scenes...

and i doubt she'd think i'd be foolish enough to think i could pull something over without someone knowing...

but you had to go there...and dig at the sametime...interesting...very interesting....

you pull the curtain back before the stage has been assembled...thats not nice...

if it wasn't festival weekend in oz...you wouldn't have the chance correct your error...

i'll run interference as long as i can...till say...4pm monday...do the right thing and make this and your quoted post disappear

or...
Report Spam   Logged

Howey
Administrator
Noob

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2011, 09:19:20 am »

I'm not following the slippery slope argument...

Please explain...
Report Spam   Logged

Howey
Administrator
Noob

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2011, 09:35:56 am »

Today a gay teenager killed himself was killed by homophobic gay bashing goons. He lived in Michele Bachmann's district, whose school system is notoriously known for ignoring gay students. Do we want Florida schools like this? Because Mr. Buell does.

FIXT.

Story here

Michele Bachmann might wish the whole gay issue would go away but it looks like a group of assailants in her hometown improved upon her verbal homophobia by fatally gay-bashing 19-year-old Marcellus Andrews last week in Waterloo, Iowa—where the Republican candidate was raised. (And where serial killer John Wayne Gacy lived in the 1960s.) Andrews was officially pronounced dead Sunday afternoon after being taken off life support on Friday.

Here's an example of Mike's slippery slope argument denial...By refusing to acknowledge, or in the case of Bachmann's district - openly practicing "No Homo Promo" some teenagers are facing problems far more compelling than which A&F shirt to wear to school.

This is the attitude Mr. Buell wants to take in his teachings.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 09:54:48 am by Howey » Report Spam   Logged

Howey
Administrator
Noob

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 29, 2011, 09:50:44 am »

this entire post right here is uncalled for...

i hit a nerve somewhere with you didn't eye ?

i'm sure EKG would tell you for as long as i have been around...i would know who's gonna know what behind the scenes...

and i doubt she'd think i'd be foolish enough to think i could pull something over without someone knowing...

but you had to go there...and dig at the sametime...interesting...very interesting....

you pull the curtain back before the stage has been assembled...thats not nice...

if it wasn't festival weekend in oz...you wouldn't have the chance correct your error...

i'll run interference as long as i can...till say...4pm monday...do the right thing and make this and your quoted post disappear

or...

Did you see this?  Grin, lilFooFa? It was a joke. If you had allowed the Coach F thing to continue, we would have gone along.... Wink

Now, back to business...

the statement in and of itself makes no claims...there was no direct claim made to a specific god...

he did not endorse one god over another...he mearly provided an example of what rules he governs his life by....

he did not say he intended to instruct students about god...he did not say his intentions were to use the school classroom

as his pulpit...

Allow me to answer in the absence of the esteemed Mr. Bknabe:

"I am a man of God and I try to be like Jesus every day. I teach God's truth, I make very few compromises. If you believe you may have a problem with that, get your schedule changed, 'cause I ain't changing!"

That pretty much covers everything, right?

he did not endorse one god over another

He endorsed the God, father of Jesus.

he did not say he intended to instruct students about god

He didn't? Didn't he say...
I teach God's truth

and, finally...

he did not say his intentions were to use the school classroom

He didn't???

I teach God's truth, I make very few compromises. If you believe you may have a problem with that, get your schedule changed

Therefore...

so he may have said something i can't reasonably defend....which would piss me the fuck off...

after investing in this dialogue...

but...if you can show me where he said he was going to use his power as a teacher in his classroom to use it as a pulpit or recuitment center...

i'd say hell yeah...fire that fuck !!!!

Thanks for agreeing.  Kiss
Report Spam   Logged

betteroffhere
Founding Member
Noob

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 29, 2011, 10:03:11 am »

Did you see this?  Grin, lilFooFa? It was a joke. If you had allowed the Coach F thing to continue, we would have gone along.... Wink

smile e face or 789...why did you have to point it out ?

i didn't know time frames or limits were involved...

but i see how this works...and i'm good with that...

this is a one on three or four pick up basketball game right now...

so i will miss shit and make mistakes...when i get on the court...

just don't exhaust me to quickly please...
Report Spam   Logged

betteroffhere
Founding Member
Noob

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 29, 2011, 10:16:06 am »

and yes...back to business...

in all those quotes you posted...nowhere did i see classroom or school...

except in what you quoted from my posts pointing out that those words weren't

in what the teacher stated...

so again...and even with all of those quotes...i think you failed to make your point...

and i'm pretty the god he worships is the father of all...not just jesus...accorrding to them...

thats right....i said it....the father of all....so thereby eliminating any discrimination towards

any and all people...

sure religion has some fucked values here and there...but wouldn't you agree the over all picture is pretty

peaceful and compassionate...compared to other religions or lack thereof religion ?
Report Spam   Logged

Evil Eye
Tourist

Critical Thinking is imperitive.

View Profile
Level 3 10 Posts Windows User
« Reply #42 on: August 29, 2011, 11:38:22 am »

Actually... his syllabus did claim a specific deity. Jesus.

Directly from the syllabus - "I am a man of God and I try to be like Jesus every day. I teach God's truth, I make very few compromises. If you believe you may have a problem with that, get your schedule changed, 'cause I ain't changing!"

Report Spam   Logged

Just me.
Howey
Administrator
Noob

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 29, 2011, 11:47:14 am »

Actually... his syllabus did claim a specific deity. Jesus.

Directly from the syllabus - "I am a man of God and I try to be like Jesus every day. I teach God's truth, I make very few compromises. If you believe you may have a problem with that, get your schedule changed, 'cause I ain't changing!"

Meh...boh is playing lilMike. Since Buell didn't actually use the word "school" he did nothing wrong.
Report Spam   Logged

betteroffhere
Founding Member
Noob

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 29, 2011, 12:44:02 pm »

Meh...boh is playing lilMike. Since Buell didn't actually use the word "school" he did nothing wrong.

but that is the way laws work...

and facts are facts...yes ?
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: