Welcome to Bizarro Amerika!
March 28, 2024, 07:48:59 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: OUR POLITIKAL SECTION IS A TROLL FREE AREA. ACT ACCORDINGLY.

Home   Forum   Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

A US ambassador and three others are killed...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A US ambassador and three others are killed...  (Read 3595 times)
Howey
Administrator
Noob

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2012, 03:59:34 pm »

THIS is how a presidential candidate should make a statement. Without politicizing it.

"No acts of terror will ever shake the resolve of this great nation, alter that character, or eclipse the light of the values that we stand for,"

"Today we mourn four more Americans who represent the very best of the United States of America. We will not waver in our commitment to see that justice is done for this terrible act. And make no mistake, justice will be done."

Barack Obama
Report Spam   Logged

Howey
Administrator
Noob

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2012, 04:10:13 pm »

Republicans with real experience, including foreign policy, back the President:

[N]o Republican leader criticized President Obama on Wednesday morning, and called instead for stronger security at U.S. diplomatic facilities, the swift capture and punishment of the perpetrators and a renewed commitment to pro-democracy efforts in the Arab world.

“We mourn for the families of our countrymen in Benghazi, and condemn this horrific attack,” House Speaker John A. Boehner (R-Ohio) said in a statement….

In the Senate, Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) usually reserves his morning Senate floor remarks to sharply criticize Obama administration policy. But Wednesday he struck a more somber tone and expressed support for “employing every available tool at our disposal to ensure the safety of Americans overseas and to hunt down those responsible for these attacks….

Even Sens. John McCain (R-Ariz.), Joseph I. Lieberman (I-Conn.) and Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) — a troika that regularly critiques the Obama administration’s foreign policy — urged Obama to continue supporting democracy efforts in Libya and Egypt.
Report Spam   Logged

Howey
Administrator
Noob

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2012, 06:14:51 pm »

OUCH

R
omney keyed his statement to the American Embassy in Cairo's condemnation of an anti-Muslim video that served as the trigger for the latest in a series of regional riots over obscure perceived slights to the faith. But his statement — initially embargoed to avoid release on September 11, then released yesterday evening anyway — came just before news that the American Ambassador to Libya had been killed and broke with a tradition of unity around national tragedies, and of avoiding hasty statements on foreign policy. It was the second time Romney has been burned by an early statement on a complex crisis: Romney denounced the Obama Administration's handling of a Chinese dissident's escape just as the Administration negotiated behind the scenes for his departure from the country.

"They were just trying to score a cheap news cycle hit based on the embassy statement and now it’s just completely blown up," said a very senior Republican foreign policy hand, who called the statement an "utter disaster" and a "Lehman moment" — a parallel to the moment when John McCain, amid the 2008 financial crisis, failed to come across as a steady leader.

He and other members of both parties cited the Romney campaign's recent dismissals of foreign policy's relevance. One adviser dismissed the subject to BuzzFeed as a "shiny object," while another told Politico that the subject was the "president's turf," drawing a rebuke from Weekly Standard editor Bill Kristol.

"I guess we see now that it is because they’re incompetent at talking effectively about foreign policy," said the Republican. "This is just unbelievable — when they decide to play on it they completely bungle it."
Report Spam   Logged

head of joaquin
Tourist

View Profile
Level 2 10 Posts Avatar
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2012, 07:58:33 pm »

I'm a little taken aback by that comment, even with your disqualifier.

Who's to say Islam is "religious weirdness"? Certainly not me or you. According to my religion, there's a lot more weird about Christianity, particularly the kind being spewed nowadays, than the religion enjoyed peacefully by billions, not millions, of people worldwide.

Tell that to Koran burner Terry Jones, who's embraced said silly hate-spewed movie above.

Killing people because they make fun of your prophet is in fact weird.  Period. Not only that, it's reprehensible.

Religious people of every stripe need to get over their fanaticism and respect the fact that other people might find their views weird.  Indeed, I do find Islam weird, as well as Christianity (even though I'm a Christian).  Religion isn't rational and isn't intended to be.

Weirdness is OK, so long as you don't kill somebody because they make cartoons or movies you don't like.  I believe in the gospel (in some transcendental sense).  That doesn't give me the right to attack somebody because they make fun of Jesus.  Indeed, if you have the courage of one's convictions, you shouldn't even get upset.  Why would Jesus or Mohammad care one way or another if somebody make fun of them, assuming they are who people say they are?

In any case, I have nothing against Islam per se; it's a highly ethical and sophisticated religion in general.  But it needs to make its peace with modernity, just as mainstream Christianity and Judaism did, and it will eventually.  Right now, the fundamentalism in the muslim world is the result of identity issues and insecurities that still afflict the Religious Right in this country, and has no place in the modern world. Meanwhile, to the extent that it is politicized to deny rights or cause harm (as the Christian Right does in this country), it should be criticized roundly.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 08:06:06 pm by head of joaquin » Report Spam   Logged
head of joaquin
Tourist

View Profile
Level 2 10 Posts Avatar
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2012, 08:08:29 pm »

THIS is how a presidential candidate should make a statement. Without politicizing it.

Barack Obama

Romney bumbled again and looks small.  Right now isn't the time for bravado about revenge, especially since the perpetrators seem to be some relatively small violent group, not representative of the government or the nation at large.
Report Spam   Logged
Howey
Administrator
Noob

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2012, 08:13:38 pm »

Killing people because they make fun of your prophet is in fact weird.  Period. Not only that, it's reprehensible.

Religious people of every stripe need to get over their fanaticism and respect the fact that other people might find their views weird.  Indeed, I do find Islam weird, as well as Christianity (even though I'm a Christian).  Religion isn't rational and isn't intended to be.

Weirdness is OK, so long as you don't kill somebody because they make cartoons or movies you don't like.  I believe in the gospel (in some transcendental sense).  That doesn't give me the right to attack somebody because they make fun of Jesus.  Indeed, if you have the courage of one's convictions, you shouldn't even get upset.  Why would Jesus or Mohammad care one way or another if somebody make fun of them, assuming they are who people say they are?

In any case, I have nothing against Islam per se; it's a highly ethical and sophisticated religion in general.  But it needs to make its peace with modernity, just as mainstream Christianity and Judaism did, and it will eventually.  Right now, the fundamentalism in the muslim world is the result of identity issues and insecurities that still afflict the Religious Right in this country, and has no place in the modern world. Meanwhile, to the extent that it is politicized to deny rights or cause harm (as the Christian Right does in this country), it should be criticized roundly.

Very well written. I understand your opinion now.
Report Spam   Logged

starla
Probationary

View Profile
Level 3 Avatar Linux User
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2012, 09:38:42 pm »

We watched Romney doing his speech on tv this morning and I said, "Here's his moment."

He put on his big boy undies, and couldn't handle it. First, it isn't polite to smirk before making a statement about the death of other American's, especially when the deaths were carried out across a very public platform. Maybe he was nervous, I don't know, but not the place for being like that.

Next, it doesn't make Romney look good when he's stepped in shit and rather than acknowledge that he just keeps walking around the house with shit on his shoes.

Today was his moment to show the world he was ready to take the job. All I heard from him was "Uh...uh....uh.... *pause*"
Report Spam   Logged
ekg
Administrator
Noob

http://www.thevsj.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2012, 07:13:58 am »

Republicans with real experience, including foreign policy, back the President:

you forgot this one..

The death of Ambassador John Christopher Stevens and attacks on U.S. facilities in Libya and Egypt is prompting responses from Republican congressional leaders — including Mitt Romney running mate Paul Ryan — that are far different than the critical comments made by the Republican presidential nominee in the hours after the attack.

Now is “a time for healing,” Ryan (R-Wis.) told a crowd in De Pere, Wis., during a campaign stop. He made no criticism of Obama in his remarks.

Ryan, who was introduced by longtime friend Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker, told a crowd of several hundred at Cornerstone Community Ice Center outside of Green Bay that “we woke up to some pretty disturbing news this morning.”

I know all Americans today are shocked and saddened by the news in the Middle East,” said Ryan. “The attacks on our diplomatic missions in Egypt and Libya, and the loss of four American lives — including our ambassador, J. Christopher Stevens — this is outrageous. Our hearts are heavy. And our thoughts and prayers are with the victims and their families.”

He led the crowd in a brief moment of silence, then said: “This is a time for healing. It’s a time for resolve. In the face of such a tragedy, we are reminded that the world needs American leadership, and the best guarantee of peace is American strength.

How big of a douche are you.. when your 'attack dog' VP candidate won't even 'attack' something of this nature?

How big of a douche does this make Romney? How out of touch and only out for his own personal gain does this make Romney?

This is why he's 'non-human'.. he simply doesn't understand how 'humans' work and has one mode..'retard'.. and you never go full retard..

Report Spam   Logged

Facts are the center. We don’t pretend that certain facts are in dispute to give the appearance of fairness to people who don’t believe them.  Balance is irrelevant to me.  It doesn’t have anything to do with truth, logic or reality. ~Charlie Skinner (the Newsroom)
ekg
Administrator
Noob

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2012, 07:28:27 am »

We watched Romney doing his speech on tv this morning and I said, "Here's his moment."

He put on his big boy undies, and couldn't handle it. First, it isn't polite to smirk before making a statement about the death of other American's, especially when the deaths were carried out across a very public platform. Maybe he was nervous, I don't know, but not the place for being like that.

Next, it doesn't make Romney look good when he's stepped in shit and rather than acknowledge that he just keeps walking around the house with shit on his shoes.

Today was his moment to show the world he was ready to take the job. All I heard from him was "Uh...uh....uh.... *pause*"

That 'smirk' irriatates me.. no matter what he's saying.. no matter who is saying something to him.. no matter what is going on around him.. it's there. It's his 'go - to' face.. His "Im really concerned here,just look at my face" face..

ugh!
Report Spam   Logged

Facts are the center. We don’t pretend that certain facts are in dispute to give the appearance of fairness to people who don’t believe them.  Balance is irrelevant to me.  It doesn’t have anything to do with truth, logic or reality. ~Charlie Skinner (the Newsroom)
Howey
Administrator
Noob

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2012, 09:26:08 am »

That 'smirk' irriatates me.. no matter what he's saying.. no matter who is saying something to him.. no matter what is going on around him.. it's there. It's his 'go - to' face.. His "Im really concerned here,just look at my face" face..

ugh!

You have no idea how much this pissed me off...

A picture tells a thousand fucking words.

What an elite, smug mother fucker.
Report Spam   Logged

uselesslegs
Noob

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Level 5 Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2012, 11:30:27 am »

Well, I guess when you ran a business for years that was just as fine with closing a company for profit, as it was with seeing it be successful for profit...you never really had to have a game face.

I've met quite a few people who have done exceedingly well for themselves and I can't recall any of them having such (or any) difficulty in conveying responses with body language, speech (tone), facial recognition...that let you know (whether they were "into" your situation/thought process or not)...they "got it."  But Mitt?  I swear it's like he has aspergers.
Report Spam   Logged
Howey
Administrator
Noob

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2012, 11:48:12 am »

Well, I guess when you ran a business for years that was just as fine with closing a company for profit, as it was with seeing it be successful for profit...you never really had to have a game face.

I've met quite a few people who have done exceedingly well for themselves and I can't recall any of them having such (or any) difficulty in conveying responses with body language, speech (tone), facial recognition...that let you know (whether they were "into" your situation/thought process or not)...they "got it."  But Mitt?  I swear it's like he has aspergers.

That's not the picture I wanted to post. This is better.

Know what? That's the kind of snarly snark I used to figure was on Sam's or lil Mike's faces when they thought they one-upped someone.

No thanks.

From now on Mitt will be Not the Not the Romney to moi.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 10:01:31 am by Howey » Report Spam   Logged

ekg
Administrator
Noob

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2012, 02:19:35 pm »

That's not the picture I wanted to post. This is better.

Know what? That's the kind of snarly snark I used to figure was on Sam's or lil Mike's faces when they thought they one-upped someone.

No thanks.

From now on Mitt will be Not the Not the Romney to moi.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 10:33:35 pm by Howey » Report Spam   Logged

starla
Probationary

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2012, 04:58:56 pm »

At least Obama knows how to use his game face. I've only seen him come out a few times with a smirk or smile, because the situation warranted it. Otherwise he has that look on his face like we fucked up and he has to "talk" to us about it, again, lol.
Report Spam   Logged
starla
Probationary

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2012, 05:45:08 pm »

This is the issue I have with Terry Jones. He was asked to not support the video and he said he didn't care what happened because of it.

Oh, and this...

[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/273/picture3fp.png[/img]
Shot at 2012-09-13
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 05:46:53 pm by starla » Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: